News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Random steam pics thread

Started by WoundedBear, July 01, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmiroku

The triples I'd heard of before, but would that (reply #650) be a quadruplex?!?
2-6-6-6-6-2

WoundedBear

It appears to have 4 sets of cylinders, so I guess. Not sure what the "official" name for them was.

Maletrain

Frankly, it doesn't seem like there is enough boiler there to support 4 sets of cylinders.  Any info on how that worked out?

Trainman203

That is 3 sets of cylinders on those triplexes.  They were failed experiments.  It took multiple firemen to keep up with steam demand, mechanical stokers hadn't been invented yet.  One engineer couldn't easily control basically 3 locomotives under one boiler.  These huge mama-jamas were terrifically destructive to the track as well.  These engines passed the limit of pre- super power steam technology and failed.  And early diesels were only 10 years or so in the future. 

Plans had been drawn by the Santa Fe for a quintplex around that time but articulated steam was basically done, except for maybe the N&W A clsss and the challengers/big boys of 20 years later...... but by then the diesel genie was already out of the bottle.

RAM

Just don't believe everything you see on the net. Lima was wanting to build a 4-8-6, but no takers.

Trainman203

I really like the prototype brass 4-8-4 😂😂