News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N & W Class J 4-8-4 parts

Started by audubon, July 03, 2018, 02:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audubon

I recently got a very good deal on an N & W Class J 4-8-4.  The only problem is that it is missing (1) the drawbar; and (2) the two wheel sets for the pilot truck.  I sent away to Bachmann for replacement parts.  When I got these parts, however, I realized that they were not the ones for my locomotive, whose correct parts are shown in a 1990 Bachmann Parts Catalog.  The 1990 catalog shows the correct parts as #3704, Drawbar; and #3701, Pilot Truck and Wheel Assembly complete with Washer and Spring.  As for #3701, I am missing only the two axles with their wheels.  The problem is that the two axles with wheels cannot be just snapped into the truck frame.  The two axles with wheels must be attached to two metal side frames which then plug into the truck frame.  Bachmann says it does not have any of these old parts.  So, I need help, and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your help. :)

WoundedBear

Maybe not such a good deal after all, eh? ::)

My suggestion would be to scour Flea-bay for a donor. Any local train swap meets in your area?

Good luck.

Sid

ACY

Possible suggestions:
1. Buy another locomotive on ebay, a fleamarket, garage/estate sale, or a train show to scavenge for the parts you need.
2. Buy a brand new Bachmann N&W J, the newer Bachmann N&W J models are very nice quality and are available with sound and DCC
3. Perhaps you did not get as good of a deal as you thought since the parts were missing and the only way to get them is to scavenge off of another locomotive.

One other thing of note, no offense to Bachmann but eventually at some point you will need additional replacement parts because eventually things will break or wear out just from use and age. You may be better off in the long run buying a brand new J than constantly searching for old models to scavenge for parts and the unfortunate eventuality is that at some point in the next 10 to 20 years; parts for a lot of the older locomotives of all manufacturers will be very scarce. And at that point when there are no parts to be had you will have no other choice to buy a new model, so scavenging for parts is nothing but a short term solution or stop gap to your problem.

Good luck with whatever you decide