Cincinnati car company curved side streetcar

Started by Bjlsnyder, July 05, 2018, 04:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjlsnyder

My gr-grandfather, Thomas Elliott was the designer/engineer of the curved-side streetcar for the Cincinnati Car Company.

I would like to acquire a display model of his design.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Barb snyder

Trainman203

Lots on google but no models.  Try traction modeling forums.  Or engage a professional model builder.  Or scratchbuild one.

ACY

I think the only way you would be able to get a model of what you are seeking is if you have a 3D printer or have access to one.
As an aside a seldom known fact is that the city of Cincy has the largest abandoned subway in North America and 2nd largest in the world.

Trainman203

I thought about 3D printing but you need CADD drawings for that process.  Traction modeling forums will have people that probably know that car and may have knowledge of a model somewhere. 

WoundedBear

Being as this is a family member.......do you have access to his original design drawings or any plans or blueprints?

Sid

Terry Toenges

Are you talking about the current version of the street cars they are using or the old ones?  When I Googled Cincinnati curved side streetcar, it show pics of both.
Feel like a Mogul.

tymbomb

Quote from: Terry Toenges on July 08, 2018, 09:32:56 AM
Are you talking about the current version of the street cars they are using or the old ones?  When I Googled Cincinnati curved side streetcar, it show pics of both.

When I Googled "Cincinnati Car Company" I found that they went out of business in 1938, so I would assume the poster is referring to the original streetcar design.

Terry Toenges

I see that now. They became known as "Rubber Stamp Trolleys"
Apparently this book "Curved-side cars, built by Cincinnati Car Company" by Richard Wagner in 1965 has construction photos and schematic drawings. The Amazon review evens mentions her great grandfather.
https://www.amazon.com/Curved-side-cars-built-Cincinnati-Company/dp/B0006E6APE
Feel like a Mogul.

ebtnut

I know that someone once imported brass models of the curved-side cars.  Best to keep an eye out on e-bay.  I note that the trolley museum in Washington, PA has just put one of the real cars back in service.

Trainman203

Ed Suydam was a primary importer of brass traction car models way back in the 1960's.  Maybe this car is among them.

WoundedBear

Couldn't have been that important to the OP. Nothing but crickets since the first posting.

Sid

Trainman203

She's probably someone not deep into rail stuff and the conversation got too detailed.

Lots of people want sentimental rail related stuff.  I had an uncle who for years was an oilfield engineer for Humble Oil, and I missed the limited run Humble Oil tank cars someone offered early in the year.