News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ball bearing source?

Started by veetwelve, February 01, 2013, 07:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veetwelve

Hi Mike,

I just posted a lengthy "how-to" on a new thread... check that out and let me know if you see any obvious gaps.

Thanks, and good luck,
Jay

Mike

Jay- Thanks for the great post. I'm trying to get the bearing supplier now. - Mike

Mike

The one comment I'd add to this is the difference between installing ball bearings on the ends of each axle (in the side frames) and the ball bearing wheel sets which can be purchased. The former uses wheels fixed to the axle, (as in the prototype). The later uses wheels and bearings independently attached to the axle (allowing independent rotation). The first one still has to differentiate on corners... the sharper the corner the more the drag. The second one differentiates regardless of the curve. I assume both would work well; but for extremely tight curves, the higher dollar sets would provide less drag. That said, I am going with the first method. At 20 cents per bearing, that's a lot of reduced friction for relatively effort and $$! Thanks for the nice article. FWIW I'm using flanged bearings that fit into the hole drilled into the side frames.

Joe Zullo

That's the way I did it too.