News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Opening headlight case on 2-6-0

Started by laxrebel, July 15, 2018, 10:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laxrebel

Looking for non-destructive way of opening the headlight case to replace the bulb on the 2-6-0, or a link to a video demo that is current and clear. Mine also seems to be mounted via melted lugs to the brass support frame in a way that makes it non-openable? Goal is a warm-white LED as part of my DCC conversion. Thanks.

Terry Toenges

On my Mogul, the headlight sits on a plastic piece that has four legs. The plastic legs attach to the metal bracket that is mounted on the loco by way of nubs that are glued to holes in the metal bracket. The bottom of the headlight has a square "peg" that fits in the hole on the plastic piece. It wasn't hard to pry the peg out of the hole.
The wires come up through the boiler and the metal bracket and into the peg on the bottom of the headlight. The light case is two pieces glued together (top and bottom). I used a razor blade on the seam to get the pieces separated. That will get you to the bulb. The wires zig zag from the bulb to inside the boiler. It's not a straight run.
You might be able to pull enough wire through to be able to resolder a new bulb. Once you pull the wire out, it might be tough to get it back in.
Feel like a Mogul.

laxrebel

As I feared. Not able to pop it open. So I will have a go at it as you describe. By looking at the parts available for the 2-6-0 one can see that there are many versions out there. Too bad each does not have a parts diagram and list and certain instructions as for what would be common needs. Thanks.

laxrebel

Easy success. I was able to slide a #11 blade under the headlight base and slice off the bottom of the mounting lugs. (This leaves enough lug remaining so that the headlight can be remounted with a touch of CA on each lug.) The headlight then can be pried loose from the base. I then put the headlight face down on the bench and with a little pressure with the #11 blade in the seam on each side of the back the two halves pop apart. Be careful not to lose the lens as it is loose in it's slots. I expect no issues mounting the led and remounting the headlight. However, I will wire it directly to the decoder feeds using a small disconnect and not use the sliders on the inside of the boiler as I am also eliminating the PC board. Thanks for the initial hint. 

Terry Toenges

I'm happy to hear that it's working out for you.
Feel like a Mogul.