Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale Bachmann Thomas

Started by Cheeky_ULP, July 18, 2018, 03:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Streak

Quote from: angelob6660 on October 11, 2018, 08:31:07 PM
If Bachmann does decide.
I could see Edward being made after Gordon and Henry. After they did Thomas, Percy, and James. Perhaps after that than Toby and Mavis.

Rolling stock hopefully in a two or three pack. Can be some
Cattle Wagon
Brake Van
Tank wagons
Troublesome Trucks
Box van/salt van combo
Gordon/James' express coaches

It would be very nice if the rolling stock came in packs. Saves time having to individually buy Annie and Clarabel or Troublesome Truck 1 and 2. I can't say for sure which engines they'd pick for the line. I'm sure that they'll start with Thomas, Percy, and James but anything beyond that is up in the air. I'd at least hope they'd make all the current engines in HO Scale is this theoretical line while also throwing in some curveballs in here and there. That's all I could want.

This was a query that came to me between now and my last post. Would Bachmann have four separate ranges for Thomas? Would they possibly cancel or stop releasing new products from one of the other three ranges? (If any, my money's on large scale)

Angelob6660

Man, I don't know why you want Large Scale to failed. It's just wrong and selfish.

Well the freight/passenger cars packs can also be sealed individually. For that type of people who want more of the same car without spending extra.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

He didn't say that he wants the range canceled, but more along the lines of if one of the three were to be dropped, large scale would probably be the one.  Personally I agree with him considering their recent overall track record after Toby got made hasn't been too great.  That doesn't mean I want it cancelled, honestly if I ever had the money or in this case, the space I would probably have picked up a few models from that range too.

As for engines they would do after Thomas, Percy or James, I think Toby and Emily would certainly be likely since they were both popular in HO and large scale.  Beyond them, Edward, Gordon, Henry, and Diesel, it would really depend on how well the sales for the new range would do from there.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Streak

Quote from: Chaz on October 12, 2018, 04:28:56 PM
He didn't say that he wants the range canceled, but more along the lines of if one of the three were to be dropped, large scale would probably be the one.  Personally I agree with him considering their recent overall track record after Toby got made hasn't been too great.  That doesn't mean I want it cancelled, honestly if I ever had the money or in this case, the space I would probably have picked up a few models from that range too.

As for engines they would do after Thomas, Percy or James, I think Toby and Emily would certainly be likely since they were both popular in HO and large scale.  Beyond them, Edward, Gordon, Henry, and Diesel, it would really depend on how well the sales for the new range would do from there.

Thank you, Chaz.  :) I never said I wanted the range canceled. I respect the Large Scale range and it's fans. Like Chaz, I just don't have the money or space to buy any of the models. I do appreciate the work put into it. I appreciate that it brought Spiteful Brakevan into Bachmann form, the CGI designs used for the engines, and the existence of Winston in that range. (Honestly Winston is the one large scale character I have the most interest in getting some day since he's exclusive to that range.) I don't want the Large Scale range to die, it just seems inevitable unless they can finally release a engine (Diesel, Rosie, or Edward).

Back on the topic of N Scale, do you think that if Bachmann made this range, it would grow popular enough to keep up with HO Scale. Like to the point where you wouldn't expect it to be discontinued (that's how I view HO Scale). This is all hypothetical but do you guys/gals think it has that potential?

Chaz

Well, funny you should ask that, I did actually do a Facebook poll not too long ago asking fans in a modeling group if they would be interested in an N scale range from Bachmann, and the results were different from what I expected.

The majority said yes, which I naturally would agree with, but not by much compared to the second most popular answer which was no.  Obviously this isn't even the majority of the fandom so it is a little hard to tell but maybe they are already content with the HO/009 (or for some large scale) collections that they most likely have so far and don't want to invest in/can't afford another scale?  Maybe they don't want to invest in something a lot smaller than what they are used to?  Either way, I would be interested in seeing what a larger majority of the fandom would say beyond just Facebook.

Not that far behind, was that they would buy the engines Tomix never made.  This makes perfect sense, especially when Tomix only produced only four engines, with Henry not even being brought to the new range yet.  Either way, I think if Bachmann acquires the license for N scale models, they would possibly see the best sales in the range come from models beyond Thomas, Percy and James.

The rest of the votes ranged from maybe to not right away.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Streak

Huh... I guess I can see why some people would say "No". Those people probably have HO scale/Large scale products and wouldn't want to double dip (like you said). I don't have much HO scale stuff in Bachmann yet. If Bachmann released N Scale engines with CGI designs that have the same quality and detail as the HO/HOn30 line, I might consider purchasing both lines or just the N Scale range. I do agree with that one voter that Bachmann should wait till they're back on their feet before trying a new range.

Speaking of the Tomix range, I'm personally wondering where that will go. Will they make the rest of the products from the old line (Henry, mail vans, the express)? Will they make completely new characters that weren't in the old line? It's funny that Tomix is currently one of the only Japanese Thomas merchandise lines that doesn't have Hiro in it.  :)

Streak

Well, this thread's become relevant once more...

It make sense that the first products in the new N Scale Thomas range were exactly like most of our predictions. Thomas and Percy were the most obvious character picks and Annie, Clarabel, and the T. Trucks were the most obvious rolling stock picks. If N Scale Thomas and Percy are based on their CGI designs, I hope the coaches and the trucks are CGI style as well. I was never a fan of this inconsistency in the Large Scale range (CGI engines but classic style rolling stock  ???)

If this new line does continue, I'm expecting James, Red Coaches, and maybe even S.C.Ruffey and Spiteful Brakevan in 2020. I'm interested in seeing how this line goes forward. I may actually consider collecting it.

mulfred-100

The problem I see with this, I'm not an n scale modeller and many other modellers aren't either so there's a big gap in the market but bachmann hasn't actually produced a set like they did with the HO range and Large scale range. For someone new to this it would have been nice to include a set to get people more intrested rather then just the engines and rolling stock. I hope it does well.

Streak

Quote from: mulfred-100 on February 15, 2019, 03:54:34 PM
The problem I see with this, I'm not an n scale modeller and many other modellers aren't either so there's a big gap in the market but bachmann hasn't actually produced a set like they did with the HO range and Large scale range. For someone new to this it would have been nice to include a set to get people more intrested rather then just the engines and rolling stock. I hope it does well.

True, that is a good point. Would've been nice if they had made a Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel Set and a Percy and T.Trucks Set like Large Scale. Maybe they don't think N Scale Sets are profitable? Idk.

I just hope this line doesn't crash and burn because I love the idea of it.

mulfred-100

Quote from: Streak on February 15, 2019, 04:27:12 PM
Quote from: mulfred-100 on February 15, 2019, 03:54:34 PM

True, that is a good point. Would've been nice if they had made a Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel Set and a Percy and T.Trucks Set like Large Scale. Maybe they don't think N Scale Sets are profitable? Idk.

I just hope this line doesn't crash and burn because I love the idea of it.
Oh I do too. I think it could be brilliant. I just find it hard to get on board with since theres no starter set being brought out. And there is a huge potential for that and it would be profitable. At the moment thats tomix's advantage that they do have an introductory set for us non N Scale modellers to jump on and expand and that's where this has slightly let bachmann down in not doing that. It's great for existing N Scale modellers but for the guys who aren't N Scale modellers it makes life a bit more difficult.

RailwayRoundhouse

Not gonna lie, I wasn't so keen on the idea of N Scale at first. But after seeing all the ideas being mentioned, I'm certainly beginning to warm to the idea :) I'm definitely interested in seeing where the range goes in any case and as some have previously mentioned, there's a much bigger possibility of producing the bigger engines in N Scale rather then G Scale! Hope I'm not getting too ahead of myself by saying this, but if they ever announced Bill and Ben, I wouldn't hesitate to model the China Clay Pits! ;)

Streak

Quote from: SodorRoundhouse on February 15, 2019, 05:01:52 PM
Not gonna lie, I wasn't so keen on the idea of N Scale at first. But after seeing all the ideas being mentioned, I'm certainly beginning to warm to the idea :) I'm definitely interested in seeing where the range goes in any case and as some have previously mentioned, there's a much bigger possibility of producing the bigger engines in N Scale rather then G Scale! Hope I'm not getting too ahead of myself by saying this, but if they ever announced Bill and Ben, I wouldn't hesitate to model the China Clay Pits! ;)

Cool! I'm glad you've warmed up to it! I agree that unlike Large Scale, this N Scale Range will have a much wider range of characters that Bachmann will be able to make. I'm honestly struggling to find character who wouldn't work in this range. I'm sure there are some but I can't think of any. Probably Winston wouldn't work but that's really it.

In terms of possible engines, I believe all the engines in the HO Scale are possible as well as other characters like Stepney, Daisy, Stanley, Ryan, Merlin, Porter, Samson, Nia, Rebecca, Philip, Sidney, Frankie, Hiro, and more. Who knows, maybe even a N Scale Diesel 10 is possible but maybe I'm getting too excited. There's so many possibilities I see for this line.

TrainFan97

For the next several years, Bachmann needs to focus on getting all the main characters out there. Hopefully, still two engines a year. James is inevitable for 2020. Along with James, we could get the Red Coaches, Mail Car, S.C. Ruffey, or even the Spiteful Brake Van. I'd love to have N Scale Diesel someday.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: SodorRoundhouse on February 15, 2019, 05:01:52 PM

I've been warming up to the idea of N Scale as well! I would love to see the range become a success and I'm hoping Bachmann can learn from past lineups to make this as delightful as possible. It just might turn out to be a bigger success than Large Scale was due to a broader user base, a less strict variety of characters to create and, of course, affordability.

I'd love to pick up a starter set if it's ever announced at a later date and I'd most certainly pick up James, Toby and Mavis if they are ever announced within the next few years.  :)
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

JLK2707

If bachmann made Gordon in N scale, I would just have him pulling a train of open wagon troublesome trucks with a brake van rather than the express. How about you?