News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale Bachmann Thomas

Started by Cheeky_ULP, July 18, 2018, 03:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrNormalDraws

TrainFan97

Just waiting for Thomas and Percy to become available, while Annie, Clarabel, and the first two Troublesome Trucks currently have no engines to pull them yet.

The same was like that for the Narrow Gauge range, where the first rolling stock was released before Skarloey.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Zekeism

Just curious, could these connect with the Skarloey engines?
Proud Bachmann Thomas Collector.

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: Zekeism on August 02, 2020, 03:29:34 PM
Just curious, could these connect with the Skarloey engines?
Kind of. They all have NEM coupling pockets, so if you switch out a few couplings between the wagons, they could connect, but if you wanted to just connect them without doing anything, they couldn't because they have different couplings.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Kemptown Branch

Sorry for the double post, but I got a bit more of my project done today!

Part Two: The Airfield Control Tower & Windsock

I was able to get the airfield control tower put together this week. The top of it doesn't really reflect the original model's design, and was only included to give a rough sense of height. It is only a mock-up project, after all. I didn't include the stairs or the sock itself, but they don't take up much room anyway.

Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Chaz

Look what came in the mail today!

I finally caved in after seeing some nice in depth looks at the Bachmann troublesome trucks as well as scaling comparisons I finally decided to purchase the N scale troublesome trucks.  Once I have a more stable job lined up I plan on buying the starter set and Percy shortly after.  For now though I'd like to talk about the troublesome trucks and my thoughts on them.  Either way I like how these are in small compact boxes to keep the models protected, something I wish the HO/OO models would do.

To be honest there isn't a whole lot to say about them since they are the same models in HO and large scale just scaled down to N.  For what they are I think they're okay, I do think a more updated design would have been preferred, even if they went with CGI.  However with the CGI faces not being as expressive maybe Bachmann wanted to stick with the two faces that offer more of a contrast?  It's an odd design choice, especially almost 2 decades after the HO ones came out but I digress.  If you liked the HO and large scale ones, then chances are you'll like these fine.  I personally wanted to add them since I am starting to get ready to start my collection and for that reason I think these trucks will do the right amount of justice.

The other thing I want to talk about is scaling.  These are -mostly- scaled down the British N gauge, albeit being a little taller but not by much.  Honestly, I was a little skeptical on this at first but the more I think about it the more I realize this was probably a smart move as modeling in N scale Thomas will now be a lot easier if you want to get more creative with rolling stock and other custom engine ideas if you are willing to start collecting the range.  It opens the door for a lot more modeling possibilities when it comes to scaling which I'm all for.

Overall while I'm not sold on the trucks design I am a lot more sold on the scaling as I am now.  I know this isn't as exciting as my more thoughtful and in-depth reviews especially regarding pictures (I don't have an actual N scale setup at the moment so bare with me :P)but once the Thomas set comes out expect my usual in-depth review from there.  Until then, if you got the trucks already, what are your thoughts on them?  I'd like to hear other thoughts on this as well as the scaling.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Rodimus Supreme

How does their scale compare to American N Scale?

Chaz

Here you go:

American stock towers over the Thomas range.

Rodimus Supreme

I'm guessing that scale isn't accurate to the real world?

TTL

I mean, it's accurate to British N scale
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: STL on August 23, 2020, 07:55:54 PM
I mean, it's accurate to British N scale
I meant the scale of the Troublesome Trucks compared to the American stock isn't the same as their real world counterparts, considering Chaz said the trucks are a little taller than British N Gauge.

TrainCollector

Anyone here believe Gordon or Henry should be announced next in N scale? I think it's possible for them to be made.

Chaz

Guess who came in as a birthday present yesterday!  Yes the N scale Annie and Clarabel arrived yesterday and it seems now I won't need to buy the starter set and just focus on Thomas and Percy then.  Anyways time for another brief review on Annie and Clarabel.

Looking at these coaches in comparison between the HO models, the difference is night and day.  Right down to the more accurate paintwork with their black frames and red buffer housing, Annie and Clarabel are a huge improvement over their predecessors.  I also like the inclusion of both of the coaches having CGI styled faces which was absent on both the HO and large scale models.  I know some don't care for the CGI look but as long as it's more accurate than what came before I personally say it's a welcome change for Annie and Clarabel.  They both do look exactly the same but fortunately their names are painted on them so it will be easy to tell which is which. 

The only minor complaint I have is the missing guard compartment on Clarabel, we both Annie and Clarabel use the same tooling.  Considering that nearly every toy range does this same approach with Annie and Clarabel, including the other Bachmann models, I feel it's a very small nitpick and not hard to fix if you are bothered.  But apart from that nitpick I really don't have an issue with these two at all and I'd say that the extra effort they put into these than the troublesome trucks really shows. 

So overall the new N scale rolling stock have been fun display pieces but I'm hoping to give these a run at the club layout soon.  In the meantime though due to the pandemic I may just do my Thomas and Percy reviews on my OO9 layout.  I know it'll look off scaling wise but I feel that it would make for more fun and engaging reviews instead of displaying them on my table and it would give me a chance to give feedback on both of their performances while mentioning how rolling stock does alongside them. 

In the meantime, what are your guy's thoughts on the N scale Annie and Clarabel? 

TerencetheTractor525

All in all, the Bachmann N Scale Annie & Clarabel look good, especially with the accurate paintwork. It would have been nice to see a guard compartment on Clarabel's model, but I guess that is a very easy thing to overlook. The only other complaint that I really have is with the faces. It isn't because they went with CGI faces (even though I prefer the model faces), but more so about the fact that both models share the same expression. I personally always liked that Annie had a surprised expression to give some more diversity to the two models, but that's just me.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Angelob6660

I like the face change on Annie. It has somewhat bother me at a young age with the open expression. I just wish they didn't change Clarabel.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden