News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Request for new HO scale steam locomotive

Started by HoDave, July 23, 2018, 08:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoDave

You currently market an On3 2-4-4-2 steam engine.  Do you have any plans to produce an HO scale version of this model?

WoundedBear

I'm with you on this one.....have been for years ;D

Here's my pick for prototype......

Sid

Trainman203

That engine was done in brass in the 60's, might be one around.

bbmiroku

Brass engines are expensive, even second-hand.

Trainman203

Of course they are, and they mostly don't run very well either.  But, the Little River 2-4-4-2 was at one time available as a model.

Ken Clark

The AKANE version of the Deep River #7 I have, had a reasonable purchase price, and runs as good as
  if not better then some of the  other engine's I have.

Ken C

Searsport

For years via this board I urged Bachmann to complete their suite of Ma & Pa prototypes with the small Baldwin 2-8-0, Ma & Pa #23-26. I have stopped because it needs to be to the old Spectrum standard to sit alongside the old Spectrum Baldwin 4-6-0 #27-28 and Richmond 4-4-0 #4-6 models. There is no point in doing it to the new simplified 4-6-0 standard. The problem with molding all the pipework and fittings onto the boiler is that the modeller cannot easily change them to more accurately match a specific prototype - and Baldwin sold a lot of those small 2-8-0s to a plethora of small RRs who did all sorts of things to them. If we want a simplified small 2-8-0 there is the Roundhouse model, which I see is being re-issued in November, but it does not really match the Ma & Pa prototypes. But I also see that their list price is $190 DC and $260 with sound, so if Bachmann were to produce an accurate Ma & Pa 2-8-0 for their current list prices if $300 DC and $400 DCC + Sound Value then it should really be to a Spectrum level of detail.

Best Regards,
Bill.

ebtnut

BTW, the prototype of No. 7 is well on its way to restoration for full operation, maybe as soon as this year.  The brass model was done by both Gem and Akane.  The Akane version generally ran much better than the Gems.  As for the old-time Ma and Pa 2-8-0, PFM imported lots of them in the '60's.  I haven't tried to price one recently but they probably can be had for what a new Bachmann model would cost. 

Searsport

Hi ebtnut, I got a fully painted Aristocraft Ma & Pa 2-8-0 #26 on ebay some years ago for a reasonable price and it is very beautiful, but it has a big, noisy open-frame motor that fills the cab and I am not up to the job of DCC + soundifying it. A Spectrum standard version would be a better starting point for me! I am sure Bachmann could sell a ton of them.

Bill.

Bucksco

Can't see doing it in HO due to limited appeal but the On30 chassis is a great basis for a conversion/Scratch project in HO.

Trainman203

Here's a broad appeal and doable item.  Two new boilers for the present 2-8-0 mechanism.  One with SP domes, train number indicators, and cab.  Make 2 versions available using the Vanderbilt tenders the Bach Man already has the molds for - one with the oil tender for UP and SP, and one without the train indicators but with the coal tender for UP (they had both kinds), IC (very early a few had Vanderbilts), and Central of Georgia.  These were "Harriman " roads that covered probably half the US, and ought to be very popular.  

The other boiler would be for the MP "spot class" 2-8-0, no. 1 through 173.  They are very generically similar to dozens of other roads engines.

Of course, there's should be no molded plumbing on these engines.

VTBob

I'd like to see more Canadian steam Locomotives. The only market that I've found is brass for them. they are poor runners, unless you dump alot of money into them, & modifications for dcc/sound units.

VTBob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

bbmiroku

Maybe a version of a canted-cylinder 4-4-0, like the Yonah, with it's distinctive tender.

Or some of the 'odd' wheel arrangements, such as the steam turbine (6-8-6), both unlettered and lettered for Pennsylvania.  or the early elevated steam railway engines, like the 0-4-4T...

or the 2-4-2T...

Trainman203

Popular well known prototypes sell.  Almost every PRR engine has been covered at one time or another.  The SP was a wide ranging road very popular with modelers but not particularly as well represented as evenly as the PRR.  The SP mogul has been offered in HO many times but not currently.  It would be a good one.  The SP, UP and IC were Harriman roads that shared common deigns.  These would have wide appeal.

I don't even like the SP very much, I am an MP fan, but what would sell is what should be offered.