News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newer GP30 Truck Problems

Started by bcbowers, July 24, 2018, 08:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcbowers

I own 2 - GP30's (Santa Fe) purchased approximately 3 - months ago. I've had 2 - plastic knuckles come loose from the small shaft on the truck tower (worm gear). I ordered and replaced the first one but now I'm getting worried that this is a production problem. Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone know a way to reliably glue the plastic knuckle back on the metal shaft? I know Gorilla Super Glue doesn't hold.

Trackbump

The coupling on my new gp 9 the same part was defective not pressed on the worm gear shaft straight from the factory and made a awful noise then it fell off the worm. I ordered a few replacements and it is good now since the original part had a egg shaped hole where the worm shaft pressed in and would never sit straight or tight on the worm shaft again .Made on a Monday ,or Friday. Call service and talk to them about getting replacement parts ,or if purchased new original owner with proof of purchase they are great and will work things out for you.

bcbowers

Update - Called Customer Service to report my problem. They are not aware of any production problem related to the GP30 run. Since I can repair it myself, they're sending me 2 - new trucks. I still think that these specific engines may have a "production" problem in which the plastic knuckle is simply not pressed onto the truck work gear shaft as tightly as necessary for reliability.

PhillipL

Sounds like you just got a bad one.  I have had that happen to me with many different brands over the years (I even got a freight car one with the couplers installed upside down!).  I think the response from Bachmann was great.

Trackbump

The coupling for the driveshaft at the worm gear on the older dual drive diesels was a common problem because they were made of a hard plastic and they would crack and slip on the worm gear shaft at the truck.Bachmann has addressed the problem and changed the material and design  slightly as a improvement. They work well ,but like anything man made there will be flaws since if it were a perfect world we would not be in it. Bachmann really stepped up for you sending you a new set of trucks where others would have you send it in and just put a coupling on it and cost you a lot of grief and time. Now you have a lot of extra parts that will fit most other Bachmann 4 axle diesels. That is a win ,win in this hobby.

Adam