News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Flat Car With Paint Drums

Started by Cheeky_ULP, July 31, 2018, 01:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

Hello Bachmann Forum

In recent years, the Flat Car With Paint Drums has been discontinued, despite high demand. I feel like a thread should be in order to make the topic clear that there is definite fan interest in the product returning.

"Why is the Flat Bed so popular, anyway?" Bachmann themselves might ask. The answer is simple; it's a unique Thomas tooling for a wagon that's completely screen-accurate to the prop in the show. It's without a doubt one of the best items in the Bachmann Thomas range accuracy wise.

A recent incident I feel "paint out" the demand this item has, where it sold for a whopping 300 dollars:

To add, some Japanese fans have even made a Petition to bring it back:

And is still view-able here:
https://www.change.org/p/bachmann-trains-to-bring-back-bachmann-thomas-flat-car-with-paint-drums?recruiter=882148142&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_petition
However, with the Japanese part of the Thomas fandom being small, and having even less OO scale modellers, it has a modest 23 signatures. The eBay auction shows however, that there is a fair bit of a rabid fandom that wants to get their hands on more Flat Beds.

If Bachmann even considered something along the lines of a "Limited Run" of 1,000 units or so, I think they'd be sure to sell out. However, I think if Bachmann wants to make the item fresh, they should consider selling it with a new load. The CGI series already has a random assortment of flat bed loads Bachmann could consider, but I feel these loads aren't particularly "interesting."

I think some more interesting alternatives for new loadscould be as follow:

Henry's Log Cars:

While not a particularly interesting load on their own and to a non-Thomas fan, the log loads are iconic of the classic Thomas episodes a lot of older fans remember. They were seen a lot in Season 2, and became associated with Henry in later seasons due to his affinity for the forest, and would sometimes be seen pulling them. An idea I think that would sell better though is...

The Christmas Tree:

Throughout several Christmas episodes, Thomas transports a Christmas tree on the flat bed. As seen here, it stretches across the whole flatbed just fine, and is wrapped up in two red blankets for protection. Christmas themed trains also tend to be popular seller, and this would be a great item for a customer to buy in addition to the Bachmann Thomas Christmas Set. However, there is also a third, popularly demanded load for the Flat Bed...

The Chinese Dragon:

I feel like the Chinese Dragon has been popular and in demand for years now. I think the Chinese Dragon is definitely tied with the Christmas Tree in terms of marketability and potential profits, as both are unique loads that would stick out strongly to customers, and be favorable for a junior modellers layout.

Only thing for me personally is, there's two subtle difference between the Classic Chinese Dragon, and the HiT Era Chinese Dragon:

The HiT Era Chinese Dragon has a longer muzzle/nose, giving it a more dog-like shape. The pattern on the nose is also entirely different. Personally I would prefer the classic design for the head, and if Bachmann began the range in 2002 they would more than likely still have the Gullane/Britt era photo references (the same one you see above, and was used on the Thomas website back in the day, though companies like Bachmann would get access to the side and back references too), so if they really wanted to dig up the old photos, they probably could. I wouldn't be surprised if they went for the HiT version though, should they choose to make the Chinese Dragon.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts and observations on the Flat Bed With Paint Drums. I definitely would buy another pair if Bachmann decided to bring them back in the near future, and I think several people would agree, too.

Kemptown Branch

I totally agree with your points Sparks, especially as I was lucky to get my flatbed when I did for a decent price (the last one the seller had). I would also buy another one, especially if it had the chinese dragon.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

TerencetheTractor525

I concur with everything stated above as well. However, the one concern that I have is regarding the Chinese Dragon. Would its height breach the NMRA standards?

Reintroducing the flat car along with any of these loads along with Stepney and Troublesome Truck #6 would make a very exciting and praiseworthy set of HO announcements for 2019.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TrainshockeylifE

Yes! You hit the nail on the head with that Sparks! Please Bachmann, I know you're reading this so please please think of our "ideas" and know that they would not have a problem selling. The Chinese dragon and the Christmas tree loads on the flatbed would have no problem selling. Thanks for bringing up this idea again Sparks!

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

I wanna second Trainshockey, Bachmann: listen up! This product would be a HUGE moneymaker and you already have the tooling/packaging mold/everything! Don't be stupid!
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Rickenbacker 325

Thankfully I got my second one at a train show earlier this year for $18. The lady had no idea how rare it was. NIB too.

Ã…ngloketThomas

Just wanted to say I totally agree with this, I really hope Bachmann will bring this back, and yeah, having another one with some other loads and such is a very nice idea I think, will defenetly buy at least two of these if they bring them back! :)

steakandcake

I know this is an old topic but I just wanted to share something. I've seen a total of 5 different Flat Cars for sale on eBay in the past 3 years and they have all been over $100. I got mine in August of 2016 for $100 (don't judge me) and it was NIB. At the time, I knew it was pretty hard to find, but looking back on it. That was a STEAL compared to the other ones. The next one I found was on New Years Eve 2017. It was from a seller that I had seen before. He was selling off a large selection of Bachmann Thomas items. The bid started at about $20. By the end of the auction, it was at $500!!!! I took a picture and sent it to my dad (he supports my collection and liking of Thomas. He also takes an interest on these types of things) and he was gobsmacked. I was too. The third one was in June 2019. I tried to bid a bit on it, but someone kept outbidding me. Found out someone had made a reserve on it. I bid a few more times but didn't want to end up highest bidder at like $400. Apparently other people began bidding. The auction ended at $300, and the dude who set the reserve won. The fourth one was a NIB in a lot with some other stuff. (Bertie, Fuel Tanker, Red Wagon, etc.) however there was also a NIB Well Wagon and Old Style Mail Car. I tried to win that so I could keep the Fkat Car and sell everything else. Someone set a reserve too, and my dad talked me out of bidding higher. The last one was on Labor Day 2018. I was ecstatic when I saw it and my dad and I made jokes about what if the guy accidentally made the auction a 'Buy it Now.' Apparently it was the same dude who sold the $500 one. When my dad tried bidding, but he kept getting outbid. Not by a reserve, but other actual bidders. The auction ended at $210. Now, I love the Flat Car with Paint Drums. And I've honestly been searching for another one for the past 2 years. No avail. However, with the advent of a new Flat Car with logs getting released this year, I'd say either the hype for the OG Flat Car with either die down a little or skyrocket even more. Only time will tell.

Toad139

Quote from: steakandcake on February 18, 2019, 07:40:36 PM
However, with the advent of a new Flat Car with logs getting released this year, I'd say either the hype for the OG Flat Car with either die down a little or skyrocket even more. Only time will tell.
I think it could be likely for the hype to die down, considering most people just want the flatbed model itself, not the paint drums. However, there definitely will be many people who want the older model. I'm sure it will still be fairly expensive on eBay, but I don't think the prices will be as ridiculous as they have been.

Chaz

I remember specifically commenting on the flat car with paint drums when it was first announced that a log load would have been a much better choice over the paint drums. 10 years later, the flat car is back after being gone for about six or so years and it returns with a log load.

If anything, I expect the new flat car does sell better than the older one because of how hard they are to come by, (before they are released), as well as having a more nostalgic load.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

steakandcake

To be frank, I like the paint drums. Its a lot more colorful and vibrant than something like oil drums (even though oil drums would be a great load) I think I like the Paint Drum variant so much is because I really liked Calling All Engines as a kid, and still kinda do today (don't judge me) and the Flat Car with Paint Drums was exclusive to that special (to my knowledge. I also really love the almost 100% accurate mold for the Flat Car itself. I'm honestly surprised it's taken so long to rerelease the Flat Car with a new load. I just hope the new one with logs isn't green or has Sodor logos on it. I just want the original Flat Car in grey and that's it.

Streak

Quote from: steakandcake on February 18, 2019, 09:35:50 PM
To be frank, I like the paint drums. Its a lot more colorful and vibrant than something like oil drums (even though oil drums would be a great load) I think I like the Paint Drum variant so much is because I really liked Calling All Engines as a kid, and still kinda do today (don't judge me) and the Flat Car with Paint Drums was exclusive to that special (to my knowledge. I also really love the almost 100% accurate mold for the Flat Car itself. I'm honestly surprised it's taken so long to rerelease the Flat Car with a new load. I just hope the new one with logs isn't green or has Sodor logos on it. I just want the original Flat Car in grey and that's it.

Shoot, I thought I was the only one. Calling All Engines is one of my favorite Thomas films but simply because of nostalgia reasons and since it was the first "real" Thomas movie to me. I know the movie was pretty dumb but I can't help but love it. Same goes for the original Flat Car with Paint Drums

However, I think it was a much better call for Bachmann to rerelease the Flat Car with a load like logs. Maybe someday they'll rerelease the original paint can version or maybe even one with a oil drums load (kinda like that S8 Percy episode) but right now the logs are perfectly fine. I just hope can eventually we get a varient with the Chinese Dragon or a Circus Flatbed if we ever get the Circus Train.

Toad139

Quote from: steakandcake on February 18, 2019, 09:35:50 PM

Don't get me wrong, I really like the paint drums as well, and I'm definitely not going to give up searching for the original flat car. it's not even nostalgia for me, I just think the paint drums look nice. For most people however, I think the car itself is the main selling point, not the load. That's why I think(and really hope) the price of the original will go down with the release of the new one.

steakandcake

This chat went dead again so I wanted to ask another question. Since a brand new Flat Car with logs is getting released, does this mean the Paint Drum variant won't be as valuable as the new one? Like if I put one on eBay, would it get more than say $200, with bachmann collectors' knowledge of a new cheaper version?

MoarCrossovers

Well yes, because you're still selling a rare OOP item
Do u kno de Grate Westarn Wae?