News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A trip down memory lane

Started by Trainman203, July 31, 2018, 10:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Code 100 rail laid on the milled tie Tru Scale roadbed had an unmistakable early 60's look.  Tru Scale also had some nice MOW cars, wish I had them.

jonathan

OK, I'll trip down the lane for a moment.  These are a few of my oldies but goodies:

1947 Varney Little Joe--worked over a bit, as I hope you can tell.  Plus, a Mantua 2-8-2, from 1969 I think... maybe 1970. I worked that one over, too--new motor, lots of added details, etc...

DSC_1422 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Here is an old Pacific Fast Mail (PFM) brassie.  Again, completely worked over.  The gearing is really slow.

DSC_1423 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

A Bowser PRR G-5 Kit.  I bought the last, brand new, open frame motor from Bowser.  Never found a correct ender for it. I have an old Varney tender in back.  Runs pretty well.  Thanks again, Woody.

DSC_1424 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Don't know much about this boxcar. It belonged to my grandfather.  It's made of tin (I think).  The decorated sides seem to be paper, laminated to the tin. The wheels are brass.  Wish it were in better shape.  My Grandpa passed before I could ask about it's origin.

DSC_1426 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Finally is an old Athearn GP kit.  I replaced the old motor, upgraded here and there, and so on. These kits were around for a long time, so I don't really know how old this is, but it did have the old open frame motor and no flywheels.

DSC_1427 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

charon

Jonathan;
Thanks for the pics.  I really like your grandfathers boxcar as well as the loco's.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Len

The "Land O'Lakes" reefer looks like it's a old Globe Models (later bought by Athearn) or Varney kit.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtnut

I was going to guess the Land-O-Lakes reefer might be an old Mantua kit from the late '40's/early '50's.

Len

Quote from: ebtnut on August 08, 2018, 10:10:31 AM
I was going to guess the Land-O-Lakes reefer might be an old Mantua kit from the late '40's/early '50's.

That's what I thought at first, but none of the old Mantua reefers I've got, inherited from an uncle back in the 50's, have the wood pad under the ice hatches.

Len

jonathan

When I look at it up close, it appears those wood platforms were scratchbuilt and added on.  Also, it used to have mantua-style couplers (brass hook and loop). This may be one of the first cars built after the Varney docksider was acquired.

My dad says he remembers playing with this equipment as a kid. He said they had a bulky 6-volt battery connected a circle of brass track.

Regards,

Jonathan

RAM

It is mantua, 6 volts would date it back in the 1930s. 

Len

Ah! The platforms under the ice hatches threw me from my original take it was a Mantua car. If they're a scratch built add on, then Mantua it is.

Len

Trainman203

I had several die cast steam engines 50 years ago.  They were all lost in a misguided household clean out while I was away.😡🤬 they have been in a landfill for 50 years now.

ebtnut

My first HO loco was an Athearn Hi-F PRR F-7, bought at a Washington's Birthday sale (remember those?) in about 1958.  I set aside trains for a few years, then got back into HO - bought a Mantua Pacific kit, followed by Athearn's "Little Monster" and USRA 0-6-0.  Then came a brass Olympia Ma and Pa 4-6-0.  All are long gone, having moved to On3 in the early 1970's.

Trainman203

Remember the smells associated with model railroading?  Floquil paint,  Walthers Goo, Perma-Scene, electrical smells, all mixed together meant huge fun.