News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G SCALE TRACKS

Started by wthdik, December 12, 2007, 05:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wthdik

I'M NEW TO G SCALE, I LIKE THE IDEA OF RUNNING TRAINS OUTDOORS.
I BOUGHT THE BACHMANN STAINLESS STEEL TRACK FROM TRAINWORLD HERE ON LONG ISLAND. THE SALES PERSON SAID I COULD USE THEM OUT
DOORS. I HOPE HE WAS RIGHT BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN BUYING MORE OF THE SAME ON E-BAY.

Jim Banner

Stainless steel is an excellent choice for track powered outdoor railroads.  Many of us make do with cheaper metals (brass, aluminum) but if you can afford it, stainless steel is the way to go.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Paul W.

Welcome to large scale RR'ing

I've got a question, you said you bought stainless steel "Bachmann" track. While SS track is good for the outdoors, Bachmann doesn't make stainless track. The track Bachmann makes is hollow and for inside use ONLY. If you put the Bachmann track outside, you'll have rust in no time at all.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

Jim Banner

I am afraid Paul is right if it is indeed Bachmann track.  I have been suggesting for years that they use brass or stainless steel in their folded sheet metal rails, but as far as I know, they never have done so.  I assumed you were talking about Aristo-Craft's stainless steel track which is fully compatible with Bachmann trains.

My comments about stainless steel track still stand, but please use a magnet to confirm that your track is really stainless steel.  Stainless steel is non-magnetic or only very weakly magnetic.  Tin plate (tin plated steel) is quite magnetic.  If your "Bachmann stainless steel track" is magnetic enough to hold the weight of the magnet, then the sales person at Trainworld has a lot of explaining to do.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

scottychaos

As others have said:

If it says Bachamann on the track, it is NOT stainless steel, and it can not be used outdoors...it will rust away to nothing very quickly.

If it is Stainless Steel, it is not Bachmann.

The only track suitable for outdoor use is made by:

LGB.
Aristocraft.
USA Trains.
Llagas Creek
Sunset Valley Railroad
AMS (Accucraft)

Comes in Brass (by far the most common)
stainless steel
aluminum
nickel silver.
(not all manufacturers make all kinds)
and various codes (rail size) and tie configurations.

the most common outdoor track is brass track by Aristocraft, USA trains and LGB.

Scot

The Old Fardt

All of the above replys are very correct.

I have advised new comers to the large scale and some of the other scales to find of train nut to go along with you so that you don't buy what you do not need. Might even be worth to buy that person a lunch as the knowledge sometimes is learned the hard way doing it your self and expensive.

Now if you did end up with tin-plated steel, it can be used inside for display track but there is nothing like using stainless steel, brass or even nickel steel outside.

Cheers,  TOF