Installing a Soundtraxx Tsunami 2 4400 DC sound card in a K 27 and a C19

Started by MAELLIS, August 09, 2018, 02:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAELLIS

Hi, can anyone give me some tips with the installation of a Tsunami2 4400 DCC sound board. I am having some problems and need some help. My plan was to get some sounds first and convert to DCC or battery  power at a later date. I know I won't get the full range of effects with analog but if I can just get some sounds like the earlier Sierra fitted locos I have I (and my grandson) will be happy!

I am using the connection card from my C-19 in the dummy DCC sockets in the K-27and have connected the Tsunami to Rail L&R, Motor + and -, speaker + and - and ground. When I power up I get a steam loco idling sound, the  card blue light comes on but the loco doesn't move, no power to the motor I guess. The loco works fine if I plug the Dummy DCC card back in.  The Tsunami must be missing an input bit apart from the functions I cannot see which. Is there any one that can help me.

StanAmes

When you are using the dummy plug with wires you must install the motor connections to some sort of motor control and provide a DC voltage source to the +- wires.   A DCC decoder or a RC control system have these connections

If you are using DC I would recommend using the DC board that was in the socket when you got the locomotive.

The pins are labeled and you can easily wire your sound card to this board.

Alternatively you can wire the your sound card directly to the track solder pads on the main board in the tender.

Hope that helps.

Stan

MAELLIS

Thanks for the reply Stan. I waiting for a reply from Soundtraxx as well. The TSU-4400 is a DCC sound decoder so it  has,  I think, to be wired between the motor and the pickups. I fitted a Thomas G scale with the same sort of board that Bachmann supplied and that worked ok on DC as we havn't converted the club  G scale Thomas layout to DCC yet. I had to run the motor wires and the pick ups to the DCC board. So far I have tried both ways on the K-27.

I think the problem may be trying to run the DCC card on analog only. I'll see what advice Soundtraxx come with.  I read somewhere that the K27 isn't the easiest loco to run a DCC sound car on. Sometimes I feel the hobby has become a bit too "technical" and I miss the good old large scale pioneering days 26 years ago !

Best regards Martin (in Norway)

StanAmes

Plug an play products are the easiest to install in locomotives with a socket.  Just plug them in.

To use any wired sound decoder you need a minimum of 8 wires to connect between the socket in the locomotive (tender)

1) the two track wires

2) the two motor wires

3) the decoders + and - must be connected to the sockets + and -

4) the two speaker wires.

Additional wires are needed for the chuff, and functions (lights/smoke/...) but these need not be connected till everything else is working.

Your Bachmann locomotive manual describes each wire (pin) and its function.

For a DCC decoder to work on DC the decoder must have CV29 set to work on DC.  Most all come from the factory this way.

Also make sure the switches in the locomotive are set for motor on and for track power.

I can not tell you how many times I have forgotten the last step.

Stan

MAELLIS

Thanks for the reply Stan. I think you have helped me here. I have been unsure about the last two connections on the DCC sound board on the K27. These are the last two of the min eight connections you mentioned. Ground on the card is connected to ground on the DCC GND terminal , there is one more connection on the card that is marked as + common function, I am unsure where this should go on the K-27 board. Should it go to DCC o/p + or should it go to Train Bus + ? (What is Train Bus ?) My K-27s are early ones , the wiring diagram is G830X IS009.

I don't want to make any error and wreck the DCC card as they are quite expensive over here !

Best regards Martin

StanAmes

DCC  Decoder Common + is a DC plus voltage about 1.5 colts less than the DCC track voltage.  Connect this to Locomotive +

The Train Bus connections on the socket are for future expansion.  They are not currently used by the Bachmann locomotives.

Hope that helps

Stan

MAELLIS