News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 0-6-0 - removing shell

Started by Kernow, February 15, 2011, 04:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kernow

Hi

I have just acquired a new USRA 0-6-0 switcher (the one with a tender) that has factory fitted DCC.

As it was sold on Ebay from a split up set it has no instruction sheet.

I am at a loss as to how to remove the bodyshell. I have the Bachmann parts diagram but besides the screw at the rear there seems to be nothing much else holding the shell on.

Anyone know how to get the shell off before I take the Dremel to it....................?

Thanks

rockymidlandrr

I have taken apart 2 of them.  I have yet to find what makes them hang up after the screw is out. I've always put a little heave to it, and soon afterwards off pops the shell.  It somehow breaks the smoke unit but it's no loss there because I was taking it out anyways.

jbsmith

Watch this video if you have DSL or cable on,,in the video you will learn how to take apart a 0-6-0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtW8Gx_WxL4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

The main trick after removing the screw is to take a precision screwdriver and place it between the cylinder and
the frame, there is a tab there,,this is what holds the shell to the frame up front.

Kernow

Thanks guys !

After watching the video I gave it a try and popped right off first time.

AS mine is DCC equipped, I had to undo a tiny screw to enable removal of the cab roof, required to ease a loop in the DCC wires out of the cab to get more clearance for the removed shell.

The DCC is hard wired so to get the shell right off the chassis would require wire to be cut.

As I am going to use it for On30 that is no hardship to me.

Thanks again.

formertanker

I was looking for exactly this information for months.

My 0-6-0 is DCC equipped, and there is a tiny screw in each of the tabs holding the shell to the frame, in addition to the large central one near the cab. Other than that, the video is spot on.