Is it possible to install a Williams whistle/bell in a Lionel tender?

Started by mikemarxs, August 10, 2018, 11:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemarxs

I have an old Lionel 6020 tender. Can I replace the old Lionel whistle with a Williams whistle/bell unit?

trainyardjp

JP, of Acton MA, USA writes:
I suppose its possible. If both the old postwar whistle unit and the Williams sound unit both use a 'bite' of DC voltage to activate the unit.
I have never attempted this 'conversion', myself, though. I posted a question about it, in an earlier post, and the reply that I received, sounded like it was possible to do that.
While Lionel trains operate on AC voltage, the horn / whistle control function on the controller, sends out a small amount of DC voltage, to power the whistle unit. Should (hopefully) work for an electronic whistle sound unit, as well.
-JP
-JP

Hi mikemarx,

671 here. It will work.

You do need a center pick-up on one of the tender's trucks to power the unit. The complete electronics board and speaker come in a replacement kit. Check Trainland on line for price and availability.

I added this sound unit to a Blue Comet tender, much to my Grandson's pleasure. Simple install.

Good luck,

Len

I've done a bunch of these upgrades, and they're pretty straight forward. If you hit the whistle button and the bell starts ringing, just flip the pick-up and return wires. You'll need a transformer with a whistle and bell button if you want to use both.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.