1870s California in Sn3.5 - Reboot

Started by hminky, August 19, 2018, 11:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

Ended this idea back in 2008. The lack of available easily made motive power and other supplies caused me to abandon the project.

With the availability of new items and information we are developing some new stuff.

Visit our new website:

http://www.chainsawjunction.com/sn3_5/

Rubber gauging is fun.

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Terry Toenges

I guess I'm trying to get more of a grasp on this.
If you are using HO cars and locos and HO track, how is the Sn3.5 going to be any different than HO other than just calling it Sn3.5.
In On30, the rolling stock is bigger than HO since it is 1/48. Since S is 1/64, how is using 1/87 cars and locos going to work for 1/64?
If you were using S scale stuff and using wheel sets gauged for HO track, I would understand. I know narrow gauge equipment is generally smaller than it's big brothers. Will it be the structures and people that give it the Sn3.5 look?
I admire your dedication to what you are doing. I'm just a mite befuddled here.
Feel like a Mogul.

hminky

1870's narrow gauge equipment is very small, basically HO size in 1/64 scale.

The HO cars being used in S Scale just happen to be the right size or need slight reworking to be S scale.

If HO scale was used to depict early narrow gauge the equipment would be too small to function well.

Everything is S scale. As I have said "there is no HO scale, O scale, S scale or any scale, only what an object measures".

The old "HO" Ken Kidder mogul was actually a Japanese 3'-6" gauge S scale locomotive, the opposite of what I am doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JGR_Class_7100

Harold

hminky

Got my conversion of an HO Bachmann 4-4-0 to an Sn3.5 1870's 4-4-0 to a point where the loco is running.

The gondolas need new trucks and decking.

Harold

Len

A couple of key measurements in differentiating HO from Sn3.5 would be the height of doors, and the spacing of ladder steps.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

hminky

The difference between HO and S scale narrow gauge isn't that much.

An S scale plan over an HO Labelle 34' car

Going the other way the Bachmann On30 boxcar based on the OR&W box can be used for S Scale standard gauge.

Harold