Bachmann RF 16 ho scale broken ladder replacement part

Started by Trackbump, August 22, 2018, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trackbump

Hello,  Anybody know where I can purchase replacement ladders for a Bachmann RF 16 shark in ho scale ? The ladders on both my Pensys took a hit from my grandson and I wish to replace the plastic ladders that are now now in many pieces with a metal part if possible. I have done some searching but only found ladders for EMD E and F locomotives from aftermarket detail part suppliers .Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trackbump

Thanks Len.But,,,,,
That # 418 ladder is for the side of the nose not for door entry that hangs down below the doors. The ladder you refereed to is on  a P.R.R unique for a particular road number,,, Strange that they make such a obscure part ,but do not seem to make the stirrup steps I am guessing they are called since there is 4 of them. It is never easy is it.  I really appreciate your efforts. I will keep looking .A new shell is out of the question since I have the antenna kits and a few wire details on these gems. :(

Adam

Len

The only things I can find that even come close would be modifying Cal-Scale 190-448 or 190-449 steps for the EMD E/F/BL2 and F45/FP45 respectively. There doesn't seem to be anything out there, short of scratch building something yourself, specifically for the RF-16.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trackbump

Found a small outfit called Wisemann. They cast parts like Cal- Scale. So far they do not have a exact match ,but one pretty close. .seen some old  AHM c liners with brass ladders online and they were added on since they were missing on the old model to begin with along with the Krauss Maffei Diesel Hydrolic model. Like to find those .Maybe someone made them back in the day but no longer like Overland. Hay they still sell parts don't they?

Adam

Terry Toenges

Did you check Bachmann parts?
They have a single stripe Pennsy shell for $16.50 (if you want to spend that much) if you don't find the metal ones you are searching for.
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68_205&sort=20a&page=3
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Trackbump

Been working on a method with that tube of 2 part epoxy clay slow setting to make a impression mold off of the other side that has a good ladder without

removing it. The part gets coated in a thin layer of white glue as a release along with the backing that is white glued to the back side of the ladder. Then

just mix a little epoxy clay. Put it over the ladder with the backing. let it dry and remove it and have a mold. Now to find the correct type of resin and release

for it.The mold turned out good and solid. Everything released from the ladder because of the white glue with water to not damage the good part that made

the impression.  The mold has 1 open end that I can seal off with a piece of epoxy clay.  Not sure if it can handle the heat to melt some solder in it to make the part out of metal,but I will need to do some further test on a scrap piece. If not have to find some plastic resin that will work. First time for everything.

Trackbump

Tried molding putty to take a mold impression off the ladder on the other side that was good. This 2 part putty called repro rubber. with a piece of polystyrene at the back side of the ladder to get the depth right. And it worked. Next I filled the mold with this 2 part epoxy putty that you would buy in the hardware store that looks like a tube of clay with one part on the inside and the other on the outside. Let it dry since it was slow setting .Removed and trimmed the flashing. Glued it on with  super glue and set aside and it is ready for the PRR red that looks brown to me. Now to make a few more. The 2 part epoxy has strong vapors so it is a good idea to use with good ventilation. I wasted a bunch doing some testing to see if it would stick to the repro rubber and not at all.The mold putty does not need a release from the plastic loco shell either. Good day when something works  right and finding a way to fix it yourself.

Adam