News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fixing an RC Atchison Topeka Big Hauler

Started by Mike12point, August 30, 2018, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike12point

Hello,

Forgive the possibly silly question.  I bought a Bachmann Big Hauler last year off of Ebay.  I'm unsure of its model number, but it is the RC control, green mogul Atchison Topeka train that according to George Shreyer's Big Hauler Tips page (http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#rc  ) is  a first generation.

It does not work in reverse, no matter how fresh of batteries I've tried, nor from my fumbling attempts to clean and tighten it up. 

Most of my investigations elsewhere on the web have pretty much convinced me that it's unfixable.   However, I would just like to confirm that it would not be eligible for a replacement chassis (as per the http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.0.html thread) – either because no replacement chassis would fit or be appropriate for this RC model or because it would likely not solve the problem.

Thanks for any help you can be.  It's been hard to find info on this particular train.

Mike

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Mike, 

Your locomotive is from 1989, and never had parts available for it.  You could purchase a replacement chassis, but it would run using track power rather than the Radio Control.  You would need a power supply/controller to power the track. The track in your set is most likely plastic and would need to be replaced with metal track.

The long and short of it is that it would most likely be best to junk the set or resell it on Ebay.  There are no repairable parts in the transmitter or receiver on your locomotive, so when a function does not work it is not repairable.  You can also use the cars that came with the set and use the locomotive as a static display on yur layout

If you are interested in Large scale, you might want to buy a Bachmann Set which is track powered and comes with what you need to get to get rolling right out of the box.    Be sure to get a set built after 2000, because they will have the latest Version 5 chassis.  Check out the version descriptions, and when on ebay make sure the seller shows a picture of the bottom of the locomotive, so you can identify the Chassis version.  If not stated ask if it is in proper running condition.

Hope this  helps somewhat.

Loco Bill

No questions here are silly, so ask away any time you need  to.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Mike12point

Thanks so much for the quick response, Bill -- you are confirming exactly what I thought from my investigations, but I just wanted to make sure.  I'll be keeping the piece for display, since I did not pay very much for it.  I was just very attracted to the idea of getting something RC (without having to pay for a conversion

And yes, now the search for a starter set begins.

Thanks again.

Loco Bill Canelos

Mike,

You are welcome, we have a very helpful bunch of forum members who are ready to help you have fun with your trains.

Good luck with your search.  Here are some set numbers I know to have a version 5 chassis:90033 to 90039,90041,90044,90047 to 90050,90054 to 90061,90063&64,90067,90076,90078,90082&83,and 90088.

Not sure I got them all, but this list should make your search a little easier!!

Have fun,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

NarrowMinded

May not be the locomotive could also be an issue with the controller