News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Night before Christmas power supply

Started by Delbert, August 31, 2018, 03:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delbert

Hello,
Im new to model trains and for all intents and purposes will say i know nothing about them.
I recently bought the night before Christmas set. I only plan to run this train outdoors from thanksgiving to january first each year. I want to do away with the steel track and go to brass and add track each year. My questions are; will the power supply that came with the set power an 8X24 oval? Im sure ill have to upgrade next year as i add track and cars.
What is the cheapest way to go as far as track that will function properly? I see a lot of brands and they come in different lengths and heights as well as flexible. If i choose flexible do i really need a bender? I apologize if these questions have been asked and apreciate any answers or onfo that may help.

Thank you

Delbert

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Delbert,

You best bet is to settle on one size of track height, go with brass(for price) and then shop around for the best deal( even used track if you can find it).  As for the power supply it was designed for use only with the set.  Adding load by adding more cars or a second locomotive will definitely require a better power supply.  The power supply might work if you use several leads, but it may well be inadequate.  Laying the track is critical, if you have any grades they will definitely be a problem.  Even if you have no grades, you will need to be sure the track is very level, and connected firmly.  If you have loose joints in your track, it will cause power loss or failure to carry power over some sections of track resulting in poor performance.

I  would suggest a power pack with at least 5 amp rating and carefully laid track to insure good operation.

It might be a good idea to contact Robby at RLD Hobbies, since you will speak to him directly and he will steer you straight at a discount price.   http://rldhobbies.com/  1- 618-446-2970

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

If it is not going to be used year round, and only one loco, perhaps a easier solution than putting it down and taking it up, and suffering oxidation while stored is to convert to battery power.

Then there are no power leads to the track, worries about joiners oxidizing the rest of the year, etc. If the loco is converted properly, you can put enough battery in it to run for many hours.

Then then only thing to maintain is to occasionally charge the battery during the year, and if you go to LiIon then the self discharge is very low in storage.

Robby can help you on the battery conversion, and less expensive track than brass, like aluminum. Also aluminum flex is easy to bend without a bender if you don't have really tight curves.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Delbert

Thanks for the information. Does anyone have any wxperience with accucraft track? 

Old John

I lived on a barrier island in Florida, about 250 yards from the ocean, the track held up very well.  No UV problems with the ties and the rails resisted corrosion.  It's code 250 and won't match up to your Bachmann track, and you will need rail joiners (clamps).  The track is very pricey and sells quickly at shows and Ebay.

Delbert

Thanks for all the information. I found accucraft track 15' diameter circle for 297. Im looking at usa trains power supply. Does anyone make a steam whistle that is remote controlled? If not what do you recommend?

Thanks