News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Repowering some oldies

Started by robman, December 13, 2007, 02:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robman

Hi there from Kiwiland and seasons greetings to all.(not forgetting the reason for the season) but now to business. I have just purchased a couple of elderly Riverossi locos off "Trade me" here in NZ, which is an on line public auction a bit like E-bay. The locos are a cab forward and a 2-8-4 both of which have been in storage for about ten to twelve years or so since they were last used, and I'd say that they have had a fair bit of use. Afte a tear down,a fair bit of corrective surgery and a lube they now perform probably as good as when new and this is the problem.
They both have the motor in the cab, ugly, they are also noisy at slow speed. Has there ever been a conversion kit to change these to a can motor or has anyone out there done anything like this. I can't see it being too hard but if someone has walked this path before it could be a great help.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year from this side of the globe,Robman. 
Modeling over there over here

Bob S

Robman:

Explore the NorthWest Short Line site:

www.nwsl.com

The catalog is online in pdf format, but unfortunately they posted it in single page bits instead of a consolidated document.   :-\

On page 4-11 under regear/re[powering, they offer a regear kit for AHM  that will give lower speed with the existing motors, in the notes they suggest a couple of motors that have been used successfully to repower.   Although they don't package a "kit", they make just about any bit that you would need to do the job.  Walthers does stock most of their stuff.

Good luck!

Resp'y,
Bob S.
Grab Baggage and Walk!