SoundTraxx TSU-21PNEM in 2-6-6-2 Articulated?

Started by Flare, September 12, 2018, 01:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

(I apologize for making a second sound-related post, but this one is for a specific model)

I see that my Articulated's tender has a unused speaker housing, and solder points for speaker wires on the main board along with what appears to be a NEM 21-pin connector.

However, I don't see a sound module listed for this model.

Would I be able to use a SoundTraxx TSU-21PNEM in there or is the wiring proprietary?

dutchbuilder

My older 2-6-6-2's have a decoder with sound incorporated.
I presume your's is of the modern type with add on sound pcb.
If so you can use the 2-4-4-2 sound add on pcb.

Ton

Flare

Quote from: dutchbuilder on September 12, 2018, 02:53:16 PM
My older 2-6-6-2's have a decoder with sound incorporated.
I presume your's is of the modern type with add on sound pcb.
If so you can use the 2-4-4-2 sound add on pcb.

Ton

My tender came with a standard 8-pin decoder connected via an adapter to the 21-pin header.

I don't think I can have a sound board AND a decoder installed at the same time unless it's a 2-in-1 package like the SoundTraxx TSU-21PNEM.

I COULD install an 8-pin sound decoder using the adapter, but I would prefer to use a 21-pin version if I can.

dutchbuilder

Ok, i see.
I replaced the adapter for a 21 pin Bachmann decoder , no sound a few years ago.
I see no problem installing a 21 pin with sound.
But i have no experience with that.

Ton

Flare

I installed a SoundTraxx TSU-21PNEM decoder and it works wonderfully.

They have a 28mm circular speaker matches the electrical specs for that decoder, (Part number 810153) and the tender seems to have been designed for that speaker as well, it's a perfect fit.

I used the SoundTraxx 28mm gasket (810054) to hold it in place.

efehser

Thanks for this- I have an older 2-6-6-2 with the 8-21 adapter board, and was wondering the same thing.