News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RS-3 SoundValue How to dim the headlights?

Started by MU5T4N6, September 14, 2018, 06:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MU5T4N6

Hello,

I have the CP #8438 of the RS-3 with a SoundValue decoder installed. I like it very much, but the headlights are far too bright. They light up the entire room and even with the Dimmer function switched on, it's still too bright.

Which CV controls the brightness? I have the list of CVs from the Website, but none refer to the brightness.
Regards, Max

Trainman203

I have S 2s and S4s and their headlights seem fine, to me, but you can dim the headlights with F8.  SoundValue decoders in general are very stripped down, don't look for much.

Trackbump

f 8 is mute. There is no light adjustment for the brightness except dim. Train headlights are bright . Look at a real one at night. That is nothing to complain about. One thing the s2 and s4 has is really good headlights.

Adam

rogertra

Quote from: Trackbump on September 14, 2018, 07:36:40 PM
f 8 is mute. There is no light adjustment for the brightness except dim. Train headlights are bright . Look at a real one at night. That is nothing to complain about. One thing the s2 and s4 has is really good headlights.

Adam

No, the headlight must dimmable under Rule 17 and should be on all models with lighting.
Cheers.

MU5T4N6

Thanks for the replies.
I did not ask if I should dim the headlights, but if I could.

F8 is indeed for Mute. Dimming is F4, but even then it's still massively bright. The reason I am asking if it's possible is because I saw other people's RS-3s (yes, Bachmann stock ones) which had much dimmer headlights.

I'll just solder a resistor to the LEDs if the Decoder doesn't support further dimming.
Does the RS-3 have the Rule 17 dimming? Because mine doesn't. The headlights stay the same brightness in either direction.
Regards, Max

MU5T4N6

Ok, I've just reset the decoder and Rule 17 works now. And the headlights aren't as blinding anymore. But F4 dimming doesn't work anymore...
Regards, Max

Trackbump

F7 is the dimmer.F4 is not used unless the loco has dynamic brakes or if steam is the steam release.

Adam

MU5T4N6

Regards, Max

Trainman203

F8 - typo, sorry.  I'm really a steam era guy, no diesels on the railroad, don't dim headlights.  They are off during the day when all my ops are.  Never use them.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 15, 2018, 11:23:34 AM
F8 - typo, sorry.  I'm really a steam era guy, no diesels on the railroad, don't dim headlights.  They are off during the day when all my ops are.  Never use them.

If you operate during "night time", even if fake night time, then you should have you headlights 'on' at might and rule 17 still applies.  Dim you headlight when waiting in a siding for another train, dim your headlight when approaching another train waiting in a siding and operate with both headlights on dim when operating as a yard engine.  When switching at night, the headlight on full is blinding to the ground crew and when coupled up to say a boxcar, the reflection of a full head or backup light from the boxcar will blind the engineer.  Speaking from experience here.  :)   

Cheers.

Trainman203

How old is Rule 17?  Anyone know when it started?  I read a long time ago that in the days of oil headlights and carbon arc headlights (not many people know about them) that were hard to re-light if turned off, that the fireman would hold up the coal scoop in front of the headlight at a meet.

I run a 20 mile short line.  We don't operate at night. Or fast.  Or trains over 7-8 cars.  We do have passenger service though, a wood truss rod open end combine behind a freight.  I forgot , that train, the "Midland Limited," is very fast - 20 MPH instead of 15. 😂😂😂

You were in engine service Roger?

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 15, 2018, 10:29:43 PM
How old is Rule 17?  Anyone know when it started?  I read a long time ago that in the days of oil headlights and carbon arc headlights (not many people know about them) that were hard to re-light if turned off, that the fireman would hold up the coal scoop in front of the headlight at a meet.

I run a 20 mile short line.  We don't operate at night. Or fast.  Or trains over 7-8 cars.  We do have passenger service though, a wood truss rod open end combine behind a freight.  I forgot , that train, the "Midland Limited," is very fast - 20 MPH instead of 15. 😂😂😂

You were in engine service Roger?paseng

Dimming only came about, IIRC, in electric headlight days.  As you say, a bit difficult to do prior to that.

I was not in engine service, I was a volunteer at a museum and have spent many hours as an engineer in passenger train service and switching so I had to know the rule book.  :) 

Cheers