News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ-Track Foundation

Started by jerry w in FL, September 14, 2018, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry w in FL

i'm getting ready to merge my Wonderland Express (#25001) with EZ-Track in to my Christmas village.  Part of the proposed path has Astroturf for grass for the old setup.  Can i just lay the track on top of that or would it be better to rip it up (hot glued in place)?
Appreciate any advice

Flare

How tall is the 'grass' in the turf?

If it's shorter than the roadbed then I wouldn't worry since it's unlikely to interfere with the wheels.

If it's tall enough to lie sideways and touch the rails then I would advise trimming it along the proposed path.

bbmiroku

The EZTrack system of roadbed/track integration is designed specifically for rug (or Astroturf) situations.  So go for it.  But I would advise cutting the astroturf down to the bottom so that the track doesn't have too much give in it when your train passes over it.

Terry Toenges

In addition to what was mentioned, the Astroturf will help dampen the sound  of the E-Z Track. With it being hollow underneath, trains can sound pretty noisy on a flat surface.
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

True.  When I store my "Christmas" (November-February) layout, I put it in some cardboard boxes.  When I unpack them, I flatten the boxes and put that on top of the plywood to dampen noise.

jjwheat

Thanks for all the replies & advice.  i'm working on the expansion modules now so i'll have room for the new train. The village (permanent display) will basically double in size to about 12' long & 3-1/2' deep with 3 step-back tiers going from waist high to almost the ceiling! The construction & layout part is gonna be easy.  It's the staging phase that'll likely take a while to accomplish on a limited budget! But that's what makes it look like a village vs a bunch of buildings sitting on a table.
Thanks again everyone.
Jerry W - Largo, FL