Removing snow from the snow plow

Started by Terry Toenges, September 17, 2018, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I got caught up watching other Youtube videos after watching Ray's. This snow plow one has me wondering. Wouldn't it just be easier and quicker for someone with a backhoe or a bulldozer to remove the snow? Their rocket powered play toy is neat but it doesn't seem to be that efficient.
(After I originally posted this, I went back and read some of the comments. It seems others have the same thoughts about it's inefficiency.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWFBETPOew
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

It definitely is inefficient (he could've stopped between 35 and 45 minutes, that last chunk of snow was on the ground).  But I bet cooler than heck to operate!

"The only difference between a man and boy is the size (or price) of his toys."

WoundedBear

Most of the comments are from people that have never lived in that climate.

It's Lake Louise, Alberta......a bit southwest of where I am here in Edmonton. Looks like a pretty normal way of doing the job here in the north.

We have been using heat to thaw things out forever. They use the same truck to thaw switches. The jet beats using a Tiger Torch.

BTW.....that snow that's packed on the front of that plow.........you aren't going to break that up easily. It is as solid as concrete. Heat is the best way to remove that without damaging the underlying structure.

Sid

Terry Toenges

I defer to someone who has lived the life of cold hard snow. :) It doesn't get that bad down here.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Snow?  What's that?  😂. Never saw it till I was 10, then it was 1" that melted by 3 o'clock.  It may have snowed here at most 4 or 5 times since ,  all the same 1" deal.  Accordingly I have no snow plows on my railroad.

Now, AUGUST down here.  THAT'S a different story!🔥🔥☄️💥😱😨😮😵😅

Maletrain

Yeah, but they don't get hurricanes or tornadoes in Alberta.

Trainman203

Of course not.  I've been through many hurricanes.

Here's the way I see it.  In extreme heat you can slow down or lay down.  Extreme cold can kill you.  I've been marooned in extreme cold.  I never want to be cold again. 

A cold winter day down here is a cloudy windy damp 40.  That's more than Enough.

WoundedBear

Quote from: Maletrain on September 18, 2018, 09:29:58 AM
Yeah, but they don't get hurricanes or tornadoes in Alberta.

Not trying to be a smart ass or nothing, but here we go again with comments from people that know nothing about the big wide world.

In Alberta, in late fall and early winter, it is common to get windstorms in the Crowsnest Pass area with sustained speeds of 60-70 MPH. Stories like this are written every year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-storm-wind-speeds-damage-1.4700400

And as for tornadoes .......well.....if they don't happen in Alberta, then Edmonton here experienced one heck of a dust devil back in 87...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_tornado

Sid

Maletrain

Not trying to be a smart ass.  But, there is a huge difference between a wind storm with winds of 122 mph and a hurricane with higher winds plus storm surge from the ocean and torrential rains, both together in one event that can drown you in more than one way.  Yes, I know that torrential rains can also occur in other places for other reasons, too.

My point was really that most every place has its potential natural disasters, and we get to choose which ones we want to live with.  But, I can't think of any place that is immune to all natural disasters.

For instance, Trainman203 is comfortable with extreme heat, but not with extreme cold.  He says that he can "slow down or lay down" and endure in heat, but thinks that "extreme cold can kill."  Actually either can kill.  In extreme cold, you need more clothes, more shelter, more fuel and more food.  In extreme heat, you need shelter and continued cooling like A/C. 

My comment was made to respond to a guy who thinks he is going to a safer place by getting away from the cold, while he is actually going to a place that simply has other potentially deadly natural hazards.

Trainman203

I know all about hurricanes. 

I lost " everything " in Katrina's flood and wind.    And a following fire that finished the job. And never did fully recover, my repaired house "sucks" compared to before. Sid has probably had losses from weather too.  I've not been through true arctic weather  but I believe what he says.

But .  On the positive.  Without all the furniture I used to have , I now have room for a decent layout.

bbmiroku

Like the songs go...
You've got ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive... (Bing Crosby)
Always look on the bright side of life... (Monty Python)

infamouselijah

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 18, 2018, 08:03:14 AM
Snow?  What's that?  😂. Never saw it till I was 10, then it was 1" that melted by 3 o'clock.  It may have snowed here at most 4 or 5 times since ,  all the same 1" deal.  Accordingly I have no snow plows on my railroad.

Now, AUGUST down here.  THAT'S a different story!🔥🔥☄️💥😱😨😮😵😅
I feel sorry for you. Once in my area somewhere between 6 to 8 years ago we got like 3 feet of snow... At my age, the only thing sticking out was my face lol
Here, take a look. It was just my luck I ended up in MD, which as far as I know got the most snow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_5%E2%80%936,_2010_North_American_blizzard#United_States

Trainman203

No need to feel sorry for us down here!  While you are shoveling your way out the door, check the temperature in Gulfport, Mobile, or anywhere on our beautiful coast! 

infamouselijah

Well... Can you ski down your neighborhood streets?

Trainman203

Who would want to?😂😂😂. We can wear short pants probably half the time in "winter".  Typical January day is sunny 😎 with a high of 60 and a low of 40.  I can't imagine who'd rather deal with snow than go out walking on a day like that wearing shorts. 

To be truthful though, when it "does" snow an inch or so every ten years it absolutely paralyzes everything.  No one knows how to drive in it.  Schools close.  Public agencies, including the one that I'm  employed at, close.

To each his own though.  If you want to ski down the street, have fun! ☃️❄️ We'll be down here doing this 🏊‍♂️🏌️‍♀️🏄‍♀️🚴‍♀️!!!!! 🤪😂