Removing snow from the snow plow

Started by Terry Toenges, September 17, 2018, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maletrain

You can gloat now that you are out of hurricane season.  Here in Maryland, we can get both.  Rather have the snow.

Trainman203

You've got both.  Maryland used to not get many hurricanes in the past,it seems.  My friend outside Frederick never did say anything about them.  But lately, yes, the east Coast has regularly taken a whipping.  I've had mine so I know what it's like.

Nice RR country up there. 

Len

This is reminding me a getting assigned to what I though was warm and sunny Japan from a very wet and cold location in Turkey. Imagine my surprise when the first thing I heard as I was coming off the plane at my new base was, "Hope you brought your long underwear. We get 200+ inches of snow every winter."

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

infamouselijah

lol we get like 20 inches on average up here in md

WoundedBear

LOLOL. I think it's cute when you southerners talk like you know about winter.   ;D

Seriously, though......I grew up in Yellowknife and a bit in Inuvik. Look those places up, then come talk snow and cold.  ;)

Sid

Trainman203

Haha Sid, you are correct, we definitely don't know about winter!  And even more, we don't want to!😂😂😂

What's an August day like way up there?  Summer is our model railroad  season when we stay inside in the AC.  Winter is when we get our outdoor type work done.  It's going all the way down to 40 at night now!❄️❄️☃️☃️😂😂😂.  Just finished some work in the yard in a bracing 60 degrees!

We had some Canadians come through Gulfport one April a few years ago.  It was around 70 outside with maybe 75% humidity.  Man we were about to have to call 911 for those guys!  They were crying and about to pass out!😂😂😂

WoundedBear

August here is our warmest month usually. We get into the 80s and low 90s. Not a nice time of year.....lol.

The 60 degrees is more to our liking. That sounds like Tshirt weather and a nice day at the track.

Wife and I lived in Tidewater Virginia for almost 10 years. That was too much heat for us to handle. Was really glad to move home.

Sid.

infamouselijah

For me, the preferred temperature is around 65.

jward

Y'all make me glad I live where I do. 20-30s in the winter, mostly 80s in the summer. Too hilly for tornadoes, sheltered by mountains from the big storms off the Atlantic, too far from the lake for lake effect snow, too wet for forest fires. All I gotta worry about are landslides and breathing problems from the steel mill down the street.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

I looked up Inuvik weather.  Looks like you don't need a kitchen refrigerator most of the year.   Or a freezer!

You get acculturated to the climate you grew up in.  I spent two years working in the northeast US, and never got used to the extended (relative) cold and low sun angle too much of the year.

Back to topic!  I don't need a snowplow on my railroad.  But I never knew about snow getting packed hard on the plow blade. The closest place I ever saw snowplows of any kind was northern Arkansas a few weeks ago, they were starting to appear on county trucks.

RAM

In my 86 years I have found out that there are nice things and bad things where ever you are.  So lets just let it go and enjoy our railroads.

Maletrain

Quote from: Trainman203 on November 18, 2018, 11:12:01 AM
... You get acculturated to the climate you grew up in.  ...

I guess I was lucky to grow up in piedmont Maryland, where the range of temperature and humidity is large, and I spent a lot of time out-of-doors or at least with open windows.  I notice that I rather quickly acclimate to whatever the weather is giving me.  While in Florida, I was out in the sun in August doing things while the "natives" were standing in the shade talking about getting back into the A/C.  While in Idaho in -20°F scraping my windshield, a coworker offered me a spare hat. (Yeah, I took it, because my ears were cold.)  Of course, you do need to dress (or undress) for the conditions to be comfortable.

Terry Toenges

Come to Missouri. We have whatever climate you want. It just depends on what day it is.
Feel like a Mogul.

infamouselijah

Quote from: RAM on November 18, 2018, 09:22:59 PM
In my 86 years I have found out that there are nice things and bad things where ever you are.  So lets just let it go and enjoy our railroads.
I like how we just keep going immediately after... xD