Is there a way to start sound-enabled locos silently?

Started by Flare, September 18, 2018, 12:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

Now that I've started installing sound in my DCC locos, I've found that my layout is becoming 'too noisy' considering that I only run one train at a time.

Is there a way to reprogram the locos to be quiet that doesn't involve going through the roster to mute each one each time I power the layout, reprogramming their volume to zero, or installing power switches for their sidings?

dutchbuilder

From the Tsunami manual;

Using the quiet mode
Tsunami quiet mode is used to turn the sound on only after the decoder is
placed into action.
It will also automatically turn the sound effects off when
the decoder is not being used.
This is particularly useful when you have a
large number of sound equipped engines on your layout and don't wish to
have them turn on all at once!

To activate the quiet mode, simply program cv113 to any non-zero value
between 1 and 255. 0.1 sec per step.

Ton

Trainman203

Sound Value has no cv 113, possibly the worst thing they could have left off in the quest for "value ".  I'm dumping three sound Value decoders in favor of something else now mostly for that reason.  If they'd had cv 113 I might have kept them.  I have 5 or 6 engines on my layout at any time and I've become very accustomed to the silence when I power up.  Having to do F8 for anything is maddening.

I had to laugh when in another post someone thought they could sell a sound value decoder. With better ones available for not a whole lot more, I have trouble seeing it.  How about it?  Who would buy a used one? And what  would you pay?  I have three.  Maybe I can cash in😂😂.

Joe323

I believe master volume for sound value is CV 128 but I am not surer how to set it to silence.

dutchbuilder

I tried to activate CV113 on a few of my TSU 1000 decoders but i hear no effect.

Ton

Trainman203

That's the original Tsunami right?  Cv 113 for some reason, on them and the original Bachmann Soundtraxx decoder (shoulda kept those , Mr. B), is graded in tenths of a second. In other words,  a value of 20 in cv 113 is two seconds till time out.  I like a value of 40 or 50, let's you finish a switching move without it going silent too quickly.

The other thing is, if "any" F command is left open, it keeps the sound on.  If you do the coupler crash, the sound will stay on until you do it again.

Try setting cv 113 to 10 or so and make sure all commands are off, and report back what happens.

The Econami and Tsunami2 are much more sensible.  A value of 10 in cv 113 is an actual 10 seconds.

dutchbuilder

Yes Trainman , they are the original Soundtraxx decoders.
I even tried the direct shutdown settings as indicated in the manual but no joy.
Could be because i use the auto sounds.
Then there could be a conflict between those two CV's that is not described in the user manual and the tech manual.
It's getting quite noisy in the train room sometimes I have to revert to F8.

Ton

Trainman203

If you are up for it, do a complete cv 8 reset to factory default and then try cv 113. You may have some setting turned on that keeps it from functioning .

You can contact Soundtraxx directly if you want too, they are quite responsive.  That cv ought to work.

I agree, only the active engine at the moment needs to be audible.

Trackbump

They all  have a mute function. Just shut the prime mover down and press the mute button .Then go on to another.F 11 is one they should of left on the SV .It uses the same electronics that is already there when you manually notch but is not written into the decoder. Does not matter that it does not have brake sound for this function to work as well as a parking brake. How much extra would that writing in there cost when the hardware is already there. This is where Soundtraxx ,or Bachmann together could have put there heads together a little better to give us more for not vary much cost to them at all except thought of operation.

Adam

Trainman203

The trouble with that is that it's not automatic like cv 113.  You could use f8 too.  He wants the layout to stay quiet at start up  , like I do.

Flare

Quiet mode was what I was looking for, all is well now on my layout.

Too bad it's not available on the Value series, my equipment is all Tsunami-based or Tsunami 2.

Thanks guys!