EZ Command Control + Non-Bachmann DCC Locomotives = Compatible?

Started by BrettYea, September 25, 2018, 05:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrettYea

I'm seriously considering buying the Bachmann EZ Command Control, as I'm a total newbie to DCC and I hear that it's great for a beginner.
However, I'm wondering if all the normal DCC functions (sound, light, speed steps, etc) on another locomotive (say, from Walthers or Athearn) will work when running them with the EZ Command Control. Or do I have to specifically use Bachmann DCC equipped locomotives with it? Obviously this will impact my decision as to what DCC system to go with, my other option being Digitrax's Zephyr Xtra.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Your "DCC Newbie" Canadian

Len

The EZ-Command is a nice system, but has some limitations reading CV's. You might want to look at the NCE Power Cab system, a full function entry level system. Unlike the Zephyr, add on throttles are identical to the basic unit throttle, so there's no learning curve to deal with if adding a throttle.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richy

You can run other decoder equipped locos. Last I knew you cannot change any CV's. You can only change the loco number address, You cannot reset a decoder ot factory specs either.
The EZ Command is a starter system.
I had an old MRC2K and it was a starter system that did about the same. I had to upgrade to a better system. The Power Cab.

Rich

BrettYea

rbryce1

I started with the Bachmann EZ system, and did not like it.  Could not do anything except move engines and blow whistles.  Could not use standard CV's for locomotive numbering.
Upgraded to the Bachmann Dynamis and again had a totally new set of problems.  Still could not program many CV's, wireless will not work unless there is a line of sight between the transmitter and the receiver and any fluorescent lighting drove the Dynamis crazy.  Again, upgraded to the NCE Power Cab, went wireless with it and I can do anything from anywhere.  Very happy with it.

BrettYea

I just finished looking at NCE's website and looking at Power Cab Starter Set reviews, and it definitely seems worth it, not to mention affordable.

Flare

I'm another user who started with the E-Z Command and upgraded to NCE.

The E-Z command's simplicity is also its downfall:  It can't control a roster of more than 9 or 10 locomotives nor can it fine-tune or reset them to factory specs if they malfunction.

I've also found that the NCE Power Cab system easily connects to Bachmann's E-Z Track:  Just insert one side of each spade connector that comes with the terminal rerailers into the 2-pin connector on the back of the Power Cab Panel and tighten the screws.  No cutting or splicing required.

Maletrain

Another guy who started with an E-Z Command giving a vote to upgrade with an NCE Power Cab.  But, it is not necessary to use something other than the E-Z Command to run non-Bachmann locomotives.  Most locomotives will run on most DCC systems, because there is a DCCvstandard that most manufacturers try to comply with.  But, systems with more capabilities than the E-Z Command will make it easier and more fun, especially with sound and other functions.

Terry Toenges

The E-Z Command is what it is - Just basic DCC for those who aren't inclined to go deep into DCC. I use mine for my Christmas layouts when I don't need to haul out the "big guns" and it suits my purpose.
Feel like a Mogul.

BrettYea

Thank you everyone for your feedback! After hearing what you guys had to say, and watching product reviews and doing research on their website, I'm definitely going to be buying an NCE Power Cab.

Zac J.

rich1998

Something to be aware of if you are not now, the Bachmann factory sound locos have SoundTraxx decoders. I have some and like them.
Any sound loco you buy, check the CV list first. Some are different.
The non sound are EZ Command decoder, a starter decoder that some replace. I have done that also.

Rich