News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with 4-4-0 - #52704

Started by DAVISinGP, September 19, 2018, 12:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVISinGP

I just received my first steam loco and I'm having a couple of little problems. It's a bit frustrating as my two other (diesel) locomotives have run almost flawlessly for a year.

The first is a "wobble" while the train is running. The front of the locomotive shakes from side to side (as if it's shaking his head "no"). Is that normal for a steam loco?

The second problem - and slightly more annoying - is that the locomotive has a difficult time with switches, derailing almost every time it tries to take a siding.

Perhaps these problems are related?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Trainman203

4-4-0 rigid driver wheelbases are under the last 1/3 of the engine with a big overhang at the front, supported by a 4 wheel pony truck.  The drivers are only 4 points of rail contact so wobble is built in.  On the prototype the pony truck guides the engine and stops the wobble .  On the model, if the pony truck was rigid enough to guide the engine, the wheels would pick at every rail joint and switch and derail.  So yes, there will be wobble.  I have 9 4-4-0's and they all wobble to some degree from time to time.

DAVISinGP

Thanks for that great explanation. I can see exactly what you are referring to.

How do your 4-4-0s handle turnouts? I can live with the wobble, but do you think there is any way to improve the loco's performance on the switches?

Flare

Many of my locos like to pick points at switches, slowing down reduces derailments.

I've also found that some switches are more picky than others, so replacing bad ones helps sometimes.

DAVISinGP

Good suggestion. I could try switching the switch ;) with another on the layout and see what happens.

Thanks.

Hunt

Quote from: DAVISinGP on September 19, 2018, 12:52:52 PM
. . .

The first is a "wobble" while the train is running. The front of the locomotive shakes from side to side (as if it's shaking his head "no"). Is that normal for a steam loco?

. . .

The Bachmann HO 4-4-0 Item # 52704 should not run with the "wobble" you describe. Here is a Bachmann short video of the locomotive, note no wobble.

https://youtu.be/nx9a142iigY

Contact Bachmann Service Dept.

DAVISinGP

After trying different switches with unsuccessful results, it's pretty much unusable on my layout.  I think I will take your advice.

Thanks.

rich1998

Check the Parts, Service and Information Page. Bachmann has a very good return service.
A few years ago I returned a DC HO 44 ton two motor and received a single motor DCC ready 44 ton.
I sent in the check for the proper amount also.

I am sure the service department will help you as mentioned.

Rich

DAVISinGP

Thanks.

This is actually the second new product I had to return within the last month. I recently received a new switch that didn't work. They were quick and the replacement works fine.

(It's a good thing I get a decent discount from Hobbylinc - kind of makes up for the postage when I have to send stuff back.  ;))

Trainman203

The problem could be a driver not quite "square " with the axle too.  That would be a good reason to return.

A "head-on" video would be more descriptive.

DAVISinGP

Wobble, wobble, wobble, wobble, crash.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davisinla/29869212317/in/album-72157674545728446/

Already got the RO number to send it back.

Thanks all for the feedback.

DAVISinGP

I'm happy to report that the repaired (or replaced) loco has been returned. While it still wobbles a bit (as Trainman indicated above) it seems to negotiate all my switches just fine. Although it shakes a bit going over them, I didn't have one derailment in about 20 minutes of testing.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. And thanks to Bachmann for a simple repair process.

bbmiroku

Sounds like your issues were (mostly) resolved.  But as for the difficulty with your switches...

Look veeeery closely at the profile of your switches.  Or, if you can't pick them up anymore, run your finger slowly over them.  You may be able to feel the diverging rail where it meets the straight rail on the outside rail.  A quick light filing down may help with your shaking.

DAVISinGP

Maletrain

Watching the video makes me wonder if there is an out-of-gauge problem with the loco wheels or (and?) the turnout rails.  Because the loco can successfully navigate the turnout after it was "fixed", it seems that the loco was at least part of the problem.  For the future, you should get an NMRA gauge for your scale and learn how to use it to check both the wheels and rails for proper dimensions.  It isn't hard to do with the proper gauge and the instructions that come with it.