News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rogers 4-6-0

Started by hagys66, September 21, 2018, 07:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Trainman203 on September 24, 2018, 08:10:11 AM
I understand, it's just very, very hard to resist rambling on about one of my favorite subjects, steam whistles!

Sierra No 3 has been in umpteen movies and TV shows, and has had many differently whistles on it that I've seen and heard .  The one I remember best was a  beautiful 3 chime on it when she was in several episodes of a 60's TV western called "The Virginian."  The Soundtraxx B4g whistle is a dead ringer for that one.

The sound of the Soundtraxx Nathan 5 chime(no. 38 on the Tsunami2 decoder) is more akin to a 6 chime whistle.  There is another Nathan 5 chime, no. 39, that sounds like an actual 5 chime. If no. 38 is the sound you want, there are several new 6 chimes on the new Tsunami2-2 that has just come out with (😮😀🤪) NINETY whistles!  To me they all sound better than 38, but that's a personal choice.  Go to the Soundtraxx web site and listen to the sound samples.

Whistle #39 is the one to which I was referring. I for the life of me couldn't remember the number for the CV value and didn't have the reference sheet on my screen at the time. And I will agree with you on #38 sounding more like a six chime. One other whistle I always liked hearing on the #3 on TV was from when it was on the old "Casey Jones" show with Alan Hale Jr. which sounds like #1 which is the Baldwin 3 Chime.

Trainman203

I have those CV numbers memorized 😂😂🤪🤪.  There are other 5 chimes on that decoder, notably 5, 15, 19, 23, 32 ... and 45 which is called a Reading 6 chime but sounds like a 5 chime.  But 39 is the most beautifully  tuned of all, that is for certain.

Go to Soundtraxx web site and check out the 23 new whistles that were added to the Tsunami2.

Trainman203

Back to the main topic -  I too think that this extremely famous 4-6-0 warrants a nice Spectrum level model offered by someone.  It is a movie star in its own right , the Gary Cooper of locomotives. It is typical 1890's heavy mainline power that often survived much later on short lines ...... just like here.

I've always thought that this engine looked like a 4-4-0 with an extra set of drivers crammed in right behind the cylinders.  Accordingly, a different frame would allow a 4-4-0 model as well.

richy

The Rogers 4-4-0 seems to be a 1870 to maybe 1880  4-4-0 with no air pump.
A 4-6-0 would be nice but would require new tooling.
I have some books by George Abdill that show some nice 4-6-0's of that era.

Rich

Trainman203

Those Abdill books were great.  Mine were lost long ago in a flood.  Thinking about cruising the net for replacement.

Terry Toenges

I have 4 or 5 of Abdill's books, also and I love them.
Feel like a Mogul.

hagys66

I found this photo of number 3 from her days in Arizonia. She was beauty even back then.

This is not my photo just want to share it here.

hagys66

Quote from: richy on September 25, 2018, 06:32:48 PM
The Rogers 4-4-0 seems to be a 1870 to maybe 1880  4-4-0 with no air pump.
A 4-6-0 would be nice but would require new tooling.
I have some books by George Abdill that show some nice 4-6-0's of that era.

Rich

Hey Rich,

I terms of new tooling I wonder if they could use the new 4-4-0 tooling as a base. There are a few similarities. Just an idea.

bbmiroku

The wheelbase measurements and spacings are mostly different from the 4-4-0 and the Rogers 4-6-0.  Basically a complete redesign.

hagys66

Quote from: bbmiroku on September 28, 2018, 07:56:15 PM
The wheelbase measurements and spacings are mostly different from the 4-4-0 and the Rogers 4-6-0.  Basically a complete redesign.

I was wondering though if then could use some of the other parts? Like the cab, tender, stack, domes and even the front pilot. #3 is really not that large of a locomotive when you are right next to it.

bbmiroku

Probably reuse the tender, but generally most of the detailing on the engine itself is part of the frame or shell.

hagys66

Quote from: bbmiroku on October 03, 2018, 12:06:41 AM
Probably reuse the tender, but generally most of the detailing on the engine itself is part of the frame or shell.

So taking a look at the parts diagram, provide for free in the parts, service & information link on this site, I found that the cab, the steam domes, smoke box front, bell, head light and smoke stake are all separately applied parts on the locomotive. So like I said before I think a lot of these parts could be used to help create a 4-6-0 Rogers by Bachmann.   

bbmiroku

Ah.  I have an older Rogers from a different company and the shell is all one piece.

rich1998

Well that did remind me to check out Shapeways steam loco parts as they have been making parts for the Bachmann locos for some time. Really neat stuff. I just looked. 3D printing is quite nice. Now if they could make a suitable boiler.
Even Precision Scale Co still makes parts that could work.

Rich

hagys66

I like the diamond stack that shapeways offers for coverting a 4-4-0 to Disneylands CK Holiday. Cool company!

Back to the topic at hand.

I did a quick search of 4-6-0 rogers on google and there was a number or 4-6-0 rogers used around the country especially short lines. An undecorated version would allow modelers of a short line to recreate a locomotive for their railroad.