News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EM-1

Started by rbryce1, September 23, 2018, 12:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbryce1

What happened to the EM-1.  I don't see it on the list of HO locomotives any more.

jonathan

Best guess is sales finally started to decrease.  So management decided not to initiate another run of the EM-1.

Actually, I am pleasantly surprised that loco stayed in production as long as it did. Seems it was very popular, even among non B&O fans. I collected two, which is plenty for such a large locomotive.  I had pipe-dreams of collecting enough to have a model of all 30 EM-1s. That would have been a pricey venture.

I can't remember how long the Light/Heavy Mountains stayed in production... perhaps the same amount of time?

I would think the same thing will happen to the new Pennsy Steamer.  Soon enough, the market will be saturated enough to cease production and move on to the next cool locomotive.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

EM-1's, cab forwards, big boys, Daylights ... etc.  I have a hard time understanding why huge models like these keep getting made for a market that is largely small radius small layouts that just can't handle these huge-antic mamma-jammas.

We had a 15 year old kid in our club years ago who pestered his parents into finally buying him a cab forward.  The adults in the club, who understood the directly proportional relationship between engine size and layout size, repeatedly told him to get a couple of Bachmann consolations instead.  But no, he got the big one, and learned from experience from the one he couldn't run at home.  PF

rbryce1

You are right on regarding the size of the EM-1 and Big Boy.  I have one of each and can only run them on 1 of my 6 railroad lines.  Probably could run on 2 more, but the cab hangs over so far on a turn that it interferes with scenery, curved tunnels and curved bridges with any form of sides.  The one line I do run them on has curved tunnels, but I needed at least a 9" stretch of straight track inside the tunnel entrance or the cab would hit.  Maybe if I had 2 rooms to put the railroad in instead of just 1 !!

Trainman203

I too have engines that are too big for my home layout, but I specifically bought them for the club layout.  The club folded about 5 years ago and I still have 3 Bachmann 2-10-2's and a 4-8-2.  But they are way too cool to sell and aren't made anymore.  A couple of times a year I exercise them as switch engines in my yards, keeping them for the day they may once again run free and wild in big engine paradise.

Trackbump

Build a larger home layout would be the idea  if anybody has plans to run large locomotives with long trains. Things have to be done in steps. This is what should have been taught to the youth .

Adam

Trainman203

We tried.  The youngster just wouldn't listen.

rbryce1

I model the Alaska Railroad, and having a B&O steam locomotive just looks weird.  I was able to buy an undecorated EM-1 tender shell from Bachmann and I have ARR decals, so it looks like the Alaska Railroad, or at least mine, just acquired an EM-1!   ;D

Trainman203

That's great.  Why don't you do that to a K4 and give the Pennsy fans apoplexy and coronaries!!!! 😱🤭😂😂😂🤪🤪

quark51

I have one of the EM-1's and I run it on my 4X10 layout. It is a beautiful locomotive.

Trainman203

What radius curve is it going around?

rich1998

No idea what radius he is running it on but a few years ago there were some discussions.
Search the HO forum for EM-1 radius. Comments by the Bach-Man also. The over hang can be quite pronounced, almost ugly

Rich

rbryce1

Quote from: Trainman203 on October 06, 2018, 09:42:35 PM
What radius curve is it going around?

I have run mine on a 22" radius, but as rich1998 has said, the cab overhang is "pronounced".  It takes almost a 30" radius to have the cab follow the rails like it really should.  On the 22" curve, the engine took the curve, but you cannot have any scenery close to the track or the rear of the cab will hit.  Same with my Big Boy.

ebtnut

I would note that the Bachmann model has both engines pivot, which allows it to run well on tight curves.  The prototype, and most brass imports, have the rear engine rigid, which REALLY accentuates the front boiler overhang.  Note that the old Rivarossi articulated models also had pivots on both engines for the same reason. 

quark51

I run mine on 22" radius curves.