News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Erie Russian Decapod Question

Started by Searsport, October 06, 2018, 01:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, I attach a link to an excellent photo of an Erie Russian Decapod. It is photo #6 in the slideshow on this page from the Monroe County Historical Association: http://www.monroehistorical.org/transportation.html My question is, what is that whing-ding on the top of the smokebox where Bachmann put the headlamp? Excuse my ignorance, I am sure everyone but me knows what it is!!!!! All the photos of Erie Decapods I can find are arranged like this, and so I am guessing that this is what RRs which bought Decs from the Erie received them configured like, though the Alabama, Tennessee & Northern seem to have removed it from theirs, which suggests that it is a frivolity, not a necessity, unless they moved it elsewhere.

Thanks,
Bill.

RAM

electrical generator driven by small steam turbine, for locomotive lighting and headlight.  Most locomotives have them back by the cab.

Searsport

Hi RAM, thanks very much.

Best Regards,
Bill.

Trainman203

Ive always wondered what that flat round thing on the boiler behind the steam dome was.  It's on the Bachmann model with a little longer valve steam.  The boiler water fill point maybe?   

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on October 06, 2018, 09:38:11 PM
Ive always wondered what that flat round thing on the boiler behind the steam dome was.  It's on the Bachmann model with a little longer valve steam.  The boiler water fill point maybe?   

That round flat thing just in front of the cab with the whistle and safely valves mounted on it?

The boiler is filled by using the injectors, usually located under the cab floor towards the outside and behind the ashpan under the firebox.

Cheers.

Searsport

Hi, I found a photo of an Erie Dec with the generator mounted where Bachmann put it on the model. It also shows the flat round thing that Trainman referred to more clearly, It is not the mount for the whistles, it is between the generator and the rearmost dome: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F4RZoWLc.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fmodeltrains%2Fcomments%2F6ecaek%2Fso_i_decided_to_model_a_fictional_2100_this_is_a%2F&docid=VOOZVrHGlE7pPM&tbnid=T7YDzAfFAL9KAM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwi4sM7V2vTdAhUDWsAKHVjrDUoQMwhcKBYwFg..i&w=2514&h=1428&client=firefox-b&bih=916&biw=1701&q=Bachmann%20Spectrum%202-10-0%20Erie&ved=0ahUKEwi4sM7V2vTdAhUDWsAKHVjrDUoQMwhcKBYwFg&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=1428&imgdii=T7YDzAfFAL9KAM:&vet=10ahUKEwi4sM7V2vTdAhUDWsAKHVjrDUoQMwhcKBYwFg..i&w=2514 Sorry for the long link - google's fault, not mine, I could not get closer to the original pic now they have disabled the ability to load the pic directly from source.

BTW these side views show that the footboards are not as on the model, in that the different levels are independent, not linked by '"verticals", if you see what I mean. Looking at the parts diagrams on this website it looks like the footboards in Spectrum 81701/3 would be more accurate than those in 81704, which is the Erie model.

Best Regards,
Bill.

Searsport

BTW I forgot to mention, look at the enlarged coal bunker!!!!! Also how beat-up the cylinder covers are, and the modified tender steps. There seems to be plenty of potential to individualise a decapod to get away from the "out-of-the-box" model.

Bill.

Trainman203

Not the auxiliary dome Roger. It's just behind the steam dome, sitting at a slope towards the fireman's side, very visible in the Erie photo.  Injectors I thought maintained boiler water level.   I'm talking about water fill of a cold boiler in the roundhouse, that what I thought that boiler top globe valve was for.  Maybe it was a Russian practice thing.  I've seen similar valve stems in auxiliary domes on SP engines.

Terry Toenges

Here you go. When you click on your link, the image shows up. Right click on the image then, from the list that appears, click "View image". When the image comes up again, you can right click again and select "Copy image location" or you can highlight the address in the title bar and "copy" it. Then click the image icon above the typing box on Bachmann's site and "paste" the address between the img tags.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

The thing that looks like a riveted circular flat pan sitting at an angle on top of the boiler right behind the steam dome, with a valve stem sticking up out of the middle. I bet it's a water fill.  Similar valve stems are often seen in auxiliary domes right in front of the cab.

ebtnut

I'm making an educated guess here, but I agree it is probably a boiler fill valve, and the round plate is an inspection port to check the flues and tubes back at the rear tube sheet.  And yes, likely Russian practice from the original order. 

Searsport

Hi Terry, thanks for that info. I was stumped when google deleted their "View Image" button, and had, dumbly, not thought of getting it back via "Right Click", and I was unaware of the ability to "click the image icon above the typing box on Bachmann's site and "paste" the address between the img tags." In fact I had never even noticed that there was an image icon!!!!! My posts will be slicker in future!

Best Regards,
Bill.

Len

Yeah, as small as that button is, it should have something on it that makes it easier to see it's for posting pics. A camera maybe?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I'm glad I could help Bill. I like seeing people's pics.
Feel like a Mogul.