News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 smoke ??

Started by mjb, October 07, 2018, 06:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjb

Hey guys, a quick question, just purchased a Jingle Bell  Express for under the Christmas tree this year. The parts breakdown sheet that came with the set indicates a USRA 0-6-0 locomotive "with smoke" ..and shows the smoke unit #2951. There is no advertising on the box that this is a smoke producing locomotive and there was no smoke liquid included with the set. So my question is ... is this really a smoke producing locomotive or did i just get the wrong parts breakdown sheet in the set.  Thanks for any help....Mark

Len

No smoke. It's the same loco as the 0-6-0/2-6-0/2-6-2 sold seperately with smoke, so they included the standard parts breakdown. Since it's a seasonal set, it's not worth the trouble to print a seperate parts list.

I think you'll find the consensus around here is in HO the residue from smoke units causes more problems than it's worth. But if you really want smoke, you can order the smoke unit from the Bachmann parts Dept.:
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_212&products_id=1706&zenid=bf9bj1be2bir0id7ftnc3jm3d3

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

mjb

Thanks for the quick reply & info... I think I'll just leave it as it is. Thanks again..... Mark

infamouselijah

My 2-6-2 has smoke equipped, and I can't exactly turn it off when the power is on (to my knowledge). It often gets quite hot when I run it for more than 5 to 6 minutes. Is this something I should keep an eye on, and how can I remove the smoke generator or shut it off?

Len

You need to remove the loco body to access the smoke unit and disconnect it.

Len

rich1998

Looking at the loco diagram, the motor and smoke unit gets power from each frame half if I see it correctly.
I use to have a couple 0-6-0's without smoke.
Split the frames. Remove the smoke unit. Pay attention to all parts.
I have split the frame halves on a Plymouth 0-6-0 to isolate the motor for DCC so I know it is not to bad a deal. All part of model railroading.

Edit
Below is a diagram. Not sure it is the one you have. I have seen a different looking smoke unit in the psrts list. It might be just a wire connection.
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/50701.pdf

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_155&products_id=1706&zenid=85th7gj8133987qt1e76hg30a3

Rich

rich1998

If it is just a wire connection, you could put a mall spst switch in the cab.

Rich

bbmiroku

If the smoke unit is a coil of wire in a plastic bin, just take a pair of pliers and yank the coil out.

Len

If he's gotten the body off to access the smoke unit, there's no need to yank the coil out. The entire smoke unit just lifts out after being disconnected.

Len

infamouselijah

Rich, the first diagram you posted is the one I have, and I still have the paper copy that came with the loco as well. I have tried removing the shell multiple times, but I always get stuck once I get the bottom. I haven't ever really been able to understand those diagrams. How exactly (in simplified form) do I remove the shell?

rich1998

It has been at least ten years.
Jonathan should be back soon. He has some of these locos.
You could also search the HO forum. He has answered someone before about opening this loco.

Rich

jonathan

Yes indeed.  These shells are tough to remove the firs time.  They are really stuck tight. If you run a search in the HO section, using my name (jonathan), and 0-6-0, you should get a number of hits.  I posted lots of photos on disassembling this loco.

The trick is the tabs that are located just to the upper rear of the steam cylinders.  They really hold the shell on well.  It's tough to spread the shell around those tabs.  IIRC there is on screw below the cab to remove.  I'll take a look when I can.

The smoke unit is easy to pull out.  However, I took out the needle/wire arrangement and filled the container with lead. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

I've said this before but I'll say it again. 

Model railroader A:  "Does your engine have a smoke unit?"
Model railroader B: "No, why?"

😳😲😱😱😱😂😂😂

Hunt

Click Here to view a segment of a Bachmann video, which includes an 0-6-0 locomotive  -- If your locomotive has tabs, the video shows how to release the shell from them.

infamouselijah

Thanks, finally managed to remove that pesky smoke unit. I was worried it might melt the front of my loco...