News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Doctor Bachmann

Started by bbmiroku, October 07, 2018, 10:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmiroku

Mr. Bachmann,
     Have you thought about doing a Doctor Who train set?  Or has someone else already claimed that lucrative cash cow?

Bucksco

Unfortunately we don't make a train shaped like a police box....

bbmiroku

Haha, no.  And I don't think there will be.

But maybe put a wrap on an E7/F7 or even a mid-sized steam engine.  The engine or A unit would be a TaRDiS theme and the B unit or tender would be Earth-themed (his/her favorite planet).  Then the cars could have Doctor wraps and enemy wraps, even involving the Plasticville line (or other models) for different locations (Cardiff, London, the Tube, Trenzillor, any of a dozen planets visited).

Len

Gotta have a gondola full of Daleks!

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bbmiroku

The merchandising is practically limitless, and expanding weekly.

Terry Toenges

But how many Dr. Who fans play with trains? It's not a kid thing like Harry Potter or Thomas the Train.  Why not a Star Trek train or a Star Wars train? There are more fans of those and they shell out big bucks for all that paraphernalia. What do Dr. Who fans buy? Just saying...
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Sonic screwdrivers to fix the trains with.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Now, if they were to do Dinosaur Train, I'm afraid I would be spending money. ;)
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

Grandkid's presents, huh Terry?

Just a simple google image search later, and... let's just say the results are both interesting and terrifying.  Dr. Who underwear, anyone...?

Terry Toenges

I'm already building a Dinosaur Land for my great granddaughter. She is four.  I bought her a battery operated loco and cars and figures. Now, I have a great grandson who will be three. They make a couple kinds of them like a wooden one and one that runs on plastic flexy type track.  It would be nice to have an electric one like Thomas. I would love an On30 Dinosaur Train but the odds are like winning the lottery. I've looked at maybe doing something with the plastic stuff but wheel spacing is an oddball size. The wheels will roll on the outer edge of E-Z Track. I thought about sticking HO frames underneath them. Then there is the loco to contend with and that's not an easy fix.
Feel like a Mogul.

Warflight

I LOVE Doctor Who...

This little TARDIS ends up in some of the strangest of locations on my layout (all EZ track, BTW... it's amazing what you can do with EZ track... shameless plug)

Here it is hidden behind a new building on the layout:

Warflight

As for Harry Potter...

I was given a Harry Potter loco by a friend I met on this forum, and simply HAD to convert it to DCC and sound... I may model the head light it has in a few of the movies, but, right now, the only light is coming from the firebox in the cab (which has a nice flicker... I'm using a Digitrax 8 bit decoder with a "Power Xtender"... I normally use 16 bit, but I wasn't sure if I could do it, so I always go cheap when I'm not 100% sure) It made for a nice effect, and you can almost FEEL the heat in that cab by looking at it!

Warflight

I think a UNIT train, with a TARDIS prop would be cool...

Oh, and I do believe that Bachmann DOES make a Star Trek, and Star Wars train that's marketed through The Bradford Exchange.

They might even make On30 ones as well (I know there are quite a few On30 Bachmann trains that the Bradford Exchange makes through their Hawthorne Village series)

I mean, they do a Ninja Turtles train, so I would imagine asking them if they would consider a Jurassic Park train in On30 would be a fun idea... worse they can do is say "no".

https://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/917921_teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-train-collection.html

This is one of their On30 trains:

https://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/918098_horror-express-electric-train-collection.html

(sorry, I couldn't link the photos, because they are in PNG format)

Terry Toenges

I had no idea they did Star whatever trains. Nor, did I know about the Turtles train or the Halloween one. The Halloween one is kind of cool. The ad only says that it runs on HO track, but it looks big enough to be On30. Bachmann's On30 4-6-0 looks so much different than that one. A new 4-6-0? Or is it a 2-6-0 with 4 wheels replacing 2 in front which would still make it a new 4-6-0. The dome spacing is different than the 2-6-0 and the walk boards, headlight, and pilot deck. The valve gear look like the 4-6-0 but this new one has a straight boiler. It's a shorter tender than either of them have.
What does it all mean? It means I could have a different 4-6-0 than the one Bachmann now has and just repaint the Halloween one.

Feel like a Mogul.

Warflight

Ready to have your mind blown?

It's not their ONLY Halloween train!

And yes, they are On30...

https://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/917833_journey-of-doom-express-train-collection.html

https://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/917982_kiss-rock-n-roll-electric-train.html

(the USMC trains is HO, and not On30)

Oh, and there is also their commemorative USMC train!

https://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/49207_marine-train.html

All are made by Bachmann, according to the Bradford Exchange.