Headlight dont work on the Chessie 2-6-6-2 item 82602

Started by 56Claes, October 11, 2018, 04:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

56Claes

Hello from Sweden!
I have just bought this fine locomotive. :) It is new but bought on an auction similar to Ebay. When testing it the headlight does'nt work. >:(  How to change it? The LED lamp seems to be very hard to pull out, without disassembling the front part. I also want to check the connections into the chassi, perhaps the LED do'nt get power?

B regards

Claes

jonathan

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34005.0.html

The link is my thread on a 2-6-6-2 that I worked on.

When purchased, the motor did not work.  The problem was a wire that was not soldered to the electronics board under the locomotive shell.  Perhaps you have a similar problem.

There is a hidden screw under the steam dome, and one or two screws under the cab.  This should release the shell, so you can inspect the chassis.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jonathan

56Claes

Thank you for your advices. I disassembled the pivot but I found it very difficult to change the light which is firmly solded down. :'(

Trainman203

I wouldn't worry about the light much.  In the US steam era, headlights weren't used much during the day .  Unless you are planning night operations, you don't need it.

RAM

I don,t know if  matters or not, but is it dcc or dc?

Trainman203

Some people need the headlight, some don't.  If the poster wants it, get it fixed.  If he wants to run in the daytime, or nighttime, with it on, get it fixed.

Different people have different thresholds of difficulty they want to deal with.  For me personally, totally dissecting a large complicated steam engine just to fix a bulb I never use anyway just isn't worth it.  I recall long ago steam engines in revenue service with the headlight off during the day.  Only once do I recall a headlight being on.

I have a couple of engines now with headlights that don't work.  I wouldn't have even known it except once I operated at dusk and they didn't work.  So I just put another engine into service, and made a note to fix the headlight the next time the engine needed other large repairs, which it eventually did.

56Claes

Thank you very much for all your answers. I have figured out that it was the LED lamp that was broken. I can fix it sometime, because I first have to disassemble the whole forward part of the driveline.

//Claes

Trainman203

Look at the 2-6-6-2 drawings on the website.  The headlight LED looks like it has a little flange at the back that holds it in, if you can believe the drawing.  That may be why you can't get it out.  A good backward push may get it out.  There may be a ring of cement around it that needs cutting with a no. 11 blade.