Converting Atlas Snap Track to Bachmann EZ Track

Started by GEverestB, October 12, 2018, 12:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GEverestB

I am building my first layout and I am using EZ Track.  I have seen several layouts that I like using Atlas Snap Track.  Is there some sort of conversion table available that would show the EZ Track equivalent to Snap Track?

Terry Toenges

I don't know it there is a conversion table out there. If you find one you like and post it on here, we (meaning those of us who frequent this forum) can probably figure out what Bachmann pieces you would need.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

If you're looking at the intro track plan books, you'll find the biggest difference between Snap-Track and EZ-Track is the 30deg crossing, which has longer legs than the Snap-Track equivelant So you may have to do some "jiggering", to use a technical term, if the layout includes a 30deg crossing. Otherwise the 15", 18" & 22" radius curves and the straight sections are pretty much the same in both systems. One thing to watch out for is a lot of the older Snap-Track plans have a bit "looser" track joints than the EZ-Track roadbed may let you get away with. In fact some of the Snap-Track plans don't work at all if you try them using track planning software set for "tight" connections.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

The biggest difference between the two brands is in the geometry of the switches. The Bachmann standard switch comes closest to the atlas snap switch. They both have an 18 inch radius (18r) curved side. The ed track curved side is 30 degrees while the atlas is 20 degrees. This means that in many plans drawn using atlas snap switches, you would have to trim the ed track switch to fit the plan. The numbered switches for Ez track are not even close to their atlas custom line equivalents.  You will find that due to these differences, Ez track takes up a lot more room  when a lot of switches are used, such as in a train yard.

Your best bet is to use scarm .or anyrail to redraw the plan you are interested in, modifying it to use Ez track. Once you learn how to use these layout planning programs, you'll find them fun to use. They will let you try out your ideas before you buy any track. They will show you exactly how much room your layout will take up, and provide a list of track pieces needed.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

The EZ-Track standard turnout matches the Snap-Track 20 degree turnout with a 10 degree (1/3) 18" radius curve attached so it continues the diverging route. There's not an equivilent to the Snap-Track 20 degree turnout with the 10 degree (1/3) 18" radius flipped around to create a route parallel to the straight section.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

While it is true that adding a 1/3 section of 18r to a snap switch makes it the same as the Ez track version, many published track plans that use snap switches do not use the extra curved section. Using only the 20 degrees of the atlas snap switch allows parallel tracks to be spaced closer together than they would be if you used the extra 10 degree section to make a full 30 degree curve. Because of this, the layout plans need to be modified to reflect the wider track spacing. In some cases, a plan may not be able to be redrawn.

My laptop quit, so I can't draw up a plan to demonstrate what I mean. Unfortunately, I can't find a track planning program for andriod.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

GEverestB

I appreciate the comments about the differences in crossing and switch lengths.

I am using RailModeller Pro software on a MAC Pro laptop and I am finding it very easy (and fun) to use.  My biggest problem has been trying to figure out what EZ Track pieces match up to the Half Section 18" Radius and the Third Section 18" Radius Snap Track pieces.  Any ideas? Rules of thumb?

I think what I am going to have to do is the 'play' with the RailModeller software to find the best/equivalent fit.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

GEverestB

Wow!  This has all been very helpful.  THanks.