News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dual headlight with single LED?

Started by Rickenbacker 325, October 14, 2018, 02:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickenbacker 325

I was watching a video of one of the new Daylights being upgraded to sound, as he took the loco shell off to see which wire the mars light would lead to, he found just one LED lighting both regular headlight and mars light. My question however, is this the same for the berks? I wanted to get 759 with the mars light and was going to upgrade the DCC model to TCS Wow sound just like my 765. I want to have a Mars light effect.
Thanks.

Hunt

One LED for 759 Berkshire headlight per parts diagram.

Rickenbacker 325

Okay, is this the one you are looking at?

Hunt

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on October 14, 2018, 03:18:09 PM
One LED for 759 Berkshire headlight per parts diagram.

I did not look at correct shell,  Sorry for wasting your and my time.

Looking at larger image for the #759 instead of #765, I see the #759 has two headlights with a LED per light.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_198&products_id=1444&zenid=etug6vt55o9mhdeqambcq0mu06

Rickenbacker 325

Ahhh, okay. Just making sure. Is there a way to make it a separate function so that I can use it as mars light function?

Hunt

Quote from: Rickenbacker 325 on October 14, 2018, 04:40:22 PM
Ahhh, okay. Just making sure. Is there a way to make it a separate function so that I can use it as mars light function?

Each light will need to be wired its own decoder function output. 

Rickenbacker 325

So by keeping the main headlight on attached where it always is, where would I put the wires for the mars light? Would I have to run new wires to the tender? Side note, what do the 6 wires going from the tender do? Meaning each individual wire.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Rickenbacker 325 on October 14, 2018, 11:26:39 PM
So by keeping the main headlight on attached where it always is, where would I put the wires for the mars light? Would I have to run new wires to the tender? Side note, what do the 6 wires going from the tender do? Meaning each individual wire.

Just one wire for the positive lead for the MARS light should do the trick. The wire for the negative lead can be hooked up the same spot on the engine's PCB as the wire from the negative lead from the main headlight. I did the same thing on my SP GS-4 from Bachmann that I fitted a sound decoder.

Hunt

Use each wire connection point on the locomotive PCB to determine its purpose.  The label is on PCB.

Since you want to use TCS decoder, suggest discussing the wiring options and lighting effect you want using two headlights with Train Control Systems Technical Support.  Simplest wiring would be one headlight with resistor in circuit connected to rail power pickups. This light would always be on with no decoder control. The other headlight with MARS lighting effect wire  to decoder.

In case you have not seen it  --
Click Here for detail TCS WOW decoder install info for a  HO Scale Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire locomotive with  one headlight.

Good luck with your project.