Bachmann E-Z Command Responsiveness

Started by Steve Brooker, October 16, 2018, 10:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Brooker

I have been using the E-Z Command DCC Control Centre 36-500 for about two years with no problems, however in the last few days, the responsiveness of the speed control wheel has changed. Now I have to turn it about half way around until the selected loco moves at all (and it then moves very slowly). But then if I then adjust the control wheel position at all (either to increase or decrease speed), the loco picks up speed immediately corresponding to the new control wheel position (i.e. it suddenly charges forward).

I have a E-Z Command Companion 36-501 plugged in at the same time and the control wheel on this works exactly as expected, so I think there can be no issues with the track or with the locomotives, just with the control wheel on the 36-500.

Should I just buy another to replace it, or can I fix it?

P.S. I am sure it has not been taken off and put back in the wrong orientation.

All advice gratefully received.

Flare

If it were me, I would replace the E-Z Command with a 'full-feature' DCC system.

I had an E-Z Command once, and while it's inexpensive and easy to use, it cannot fine-tune locomotives or reset them to factory settings if they malfunction.

Personally I like the NCE Power Cab starter set, combined with the optional USB interface that lets you program your locomotives with a point-and-click interface on your computer, and the same program lets you use tablets/smartphones as throttles over Wi-Fi.