News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-0 Tender with Speaker Decoder

Started by kkm0005@auburn.edu, October 18, 2018, 02:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkm0005@auburn.edu

hello,

I am looking into buying this tender but am wondering what Decoder will work with it. The speaker is already there along with the 8 pin plug in.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_86&products_id=8949&zenid=n146g73h49efkjsvlju7rtqdn7

thank you very much

WoundedBear

Any sound decoder from a number of manufacturers will fit in there. Make sure that the decoder you order has the 8 pin plug harness.

Sid

kkm0005@auburn.edu

apologies - I know that wont work. I saw soundtraxx on the title and assumed.

could someone Recommend one?

rich1998

I was going to suggest the SoundTraxx decoder selector page but you would have to solder a plug to the decoder. I just looked. They suggest one for the 2-8-0. Since you have to solder the speaker wires, you could do this.
I do know the ESU 73400 LokSound Select 8 Pin DCC Sound Decoder comes with a plug. I have used LokSound Micros in the past and they came with a plug.
No idea about TCS though.

Rich

Flare

Actually, a SoundTraxx TSU-2200 would probably work, they sell a separate wiring harness for it with the 8-pin connector on the other end.  (Part #810135)

The problem with that decoder is that it's too powerful for the tender's stock speaker.  You could run it at half volume and probably be fine, or you can replace it with one of Soundtraxx's 2-amp speakers.  (The tender picture looks like a 28mm model but you should measure it to be sure)

Soundtraxx recently released new versions of their Steam sound decoders with extra whistle files, The TSU-2200 Steam 2 decoder is part #884007.

You may be able to get a bit of a deal on the original TSU-2200 Steam decoder, part #884002.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: kkm0005@auburn.edu on October 18, 2018, 02:46:19 PM
for example - would this work?

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/soundtraxx-ho-852003-mc2h104op-4-function-dual-mode-decoder/?ne_ppc_id=1079742151&gclid=CjwKCAjw3qDeBRBkEiwAsqeO7og7UPA6WCfo6dbffF56VgATBGIH1L0gnrHjTi5rmLO0gHtER3-dSRoCJ4MQAvD_BwE

It would, if it were a sound decoder. That one is a DCC Non-Sound decoder. Like flare said, a Soundtraxx TSU-2200 decoder would work. Best way to do that is to use some double sided foam tape to mount the decoder under the coal load. And as for flares concern about the speaker, the speaker in the tender is a 28MM speaker as Soundtraxx recommends a 28MM speaker for the 2-8-0. I would personally recommend the Soundtraxx 1" (28mmX4.5MM) round speaker part #810153 as well as the 1" speaker gasket part #810119.

rich1998

What Flare suggest is what the SoundTraxx decoder selector page suggest.
All you have to do is cut back the shrink wrap on the decoder just enough to remove the present wiring harness and plug in the 8 pin adapter. SoundTraxx allows this.
The tenders have 28mm openings. I have Bachmann tenders.
I would probably get the two watt speaker.

Rich