News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

aprons

Started by bob kaplan, October 24, 2018, 12:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Has anyone installed an apron in the DCC sound mogel, 4-6-0, or Mikado.   Any incite into the process would be helpful.  Were they able to negotiate a 22 inch radius on that was done?
   Thanks.

Trainman203

Tender- cab Aprons or foot plates are one of the Spectrum "luxuries " lost in the IMHO ill-conceived economy move of 4 or 5 years ago.  The Christmas train people don't care but the model railroaders think that no footplate looks very strange and empty.

I have 3 or 4 aprons salvaged from cannibalizing some extra boiler assemblies I had.  The ones from the Spectrum 4-6-0 boiler/cab ought to go right on the current downgraded 4-6-0, the appropriate mounting holes from the Spectrum days may still be there.  If not, drill.

The mogul was always a stripped down piece and never had an apron in the past.  You'll have to drill and size the apron to fit and not snag on curves.

The Spectrum 4-6-0 tender was so close coupled I didn't need to use the apron .  The new one,can't say.  The mikado tender is very far coupled to suit the toy train buyers who want everything including the  EM1 to get around a 12" R curve.  It very much needs an apron to look right.  I have several intended for a mikado from another company that will go on my Bachmann ones.

Sidebar - I was once the happy recipient of an unexpected cab  ride. I was not dressed for the occasion and had on tennis shoes instead of steel toed boots.  At track speed, that apron was bouncing and rattling and ready to surgically remove any toe that might have found its way underneath.  Always, always wear safety shoes when on the railroad.

jonathan

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,32325.0.html

Check page 3 of the link.  I did put deck aprons on my Mikados.  Found brass ones at a train show IIRC.

Regards,

Jonathan

bob kaplan

Thanks for the info.