News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

South Pacific Coast Mogul No 81493

Started by tommygcbe, October 31, 2018, 10:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommygcbe

Hi, I am a complete newbie. Have acquired a lovely 81493 but with no instruction book.  Can anyone suggest how I can get one please. Many Thanks, Tom

RkyGriz

Follow this link to the parts page for he diagrams: https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=69_145&zenid=0662b3vrdhl366d7fkphdirlc4
You can also contact the parts and service department at :800-356-3910 between the hours of 8:30am to 4:00 pm to see if they have the instructional video for purchase. One other thing you can try is searching youtube.com to see if someone has posted the video. Those earlier locos came with a VHS tape enclosed with the package when new. My Spectrum South Pacific Cost 4-4-0 Centennial loco came with one(still sealed), so there should be one available for your 2-6-0.
That's about all I know. Maybe Loco Bill will chime in later with better info.
Later.
Andrew.

tommygcbe

Many thanks Andrew.  Very helpful. Regards, Tom

Loco Bill Canelos

Tom,

Regrettably I can't contribute much more than Andrew already noted.  There are some youtube videos that show how to lubricate other style Bachmann G Scalelocomotives, which are basically the same procedures as for yours.   You can still download the 2002 catalog https://resources.bachmanntrains.com/2002/2002_bachmann.pdf  and go to page 148 to see the advertised features. You will find some switches behind the  smokebox door.  There will be a polarity switch, and a switch to turn the smoke generator on and off.  If left on and allowed to burn up the oil it can burn out, so be sure to leave it in the off position unless you are adding smoke fluid.  If you are in to DCC it is DCC ready.

I searched here on the Bachmann site and found this old post which ma have some useful info: 
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,14094.0.html

Wish I could be more helpful.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tommygcbe

Hi Bill, thank you for your time on this. I really appreciate it. I am completely new to all this (a new grandson triggered it) and am most impressed with the friendliness you show. One of my other interests is philosophy which is a lot grittier and less happy than model trains. Perhaps some of my philosophy correspondents ought to come here in their search of the good life! Thanks again to you both. Regards, Tom

Loco Bill Canelos

Tom,

Thanks for the compliment I very much appreciate it, I try to be friendly to all because it sets me free.  I also believe that with all the stresses in the world Escape by playing with trains is a big help!   My simple philosophy is that all folks are good!!

I also have children and great grandchildren all who seem to enjoy my trains.  When my son got interested in trains, we built layouts together, I was amazed at how the train hobby kept our communications lines open on all topics of the day.  It has kept us especially close and his kids love the the trains in a similar way. 

In a final note: I failed to mention that a great way to get more info on your locomotive and other good info about running it would be to check out if there is a local garden railroad society in your area and give them a visit.   Another great source of info is "Garden Railways" magazine.

Have fun with your new hobby and especially with your grandson.

All the best, Bill
Comments like yours keep me going in my old age!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!