News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing Sound & DCC In Big Hauler

Started by New ChooChoo, October 21, 2018, 01:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New ChooChoo

I got side tracked about 1-2 years ago when I was working on my Big Hauler. Here's whats up:
  I purchased a loco chassis when, they were on sale, that has the upgrade for the anniversary model...metal side rods etc.. I was installing DCC in the new chassis and sound but never could get them BOTH to work. They would work for about a minute or two and then just the DCC would work. Thats where I stopped and had to abandon my efforts. So, now I think I can get back into it all. I have the DCC module installed and it works great. Now as far as the sound module goes, here is what I want to do. I want to install the sound module in the tender. I am going to use the speaker that is in the tender and the battery compartment to keep the sound going when the tender isnt moving. Since there is only TWO rails and not three like on the "O" scales, I have a magnet and pickup for on a left wheel that I will install. The tender will have sound like most or some of the "O" scale tenders have and will be towed behind the engine. I tried installing everything in the engine and running the wires from the engine to the tender to the speaker, but I may have burned up one module in the past. I am eliminating the connection between engine and tender. Does this sound like I am on the right track?  

Flare

I've tried adding sound to a silent locomotive by installing a second sound-enabled decoder in the tender programmed to the same address as the loco's with good results.  Just be sure to program the two independently to avoid messing up one or both of them.

However, unless the tender wheels are the same diameter as the drivers, the sound will not match up with the locomotive using the magnet and pickup method.

I don't know which sound decoder you plan to use, but I would look for one that allows you to adjust the chuff rate using CVs.