News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Railroad, sorta (Part II)

Started by Ken Huck, October 24, 2018, 08:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Your portal looks as good as the WS one.
Feel like a Mogul.

Ken Huck

Must've got a little rain last night...

I got a feeling that once all this snow starts to melt, it's gonna get a lot deeper !

I've been using Woodland Scenics deep-pour murky water system.
I'm gonna need a few more of those sets to finish.

More to come.

Ken

bbmiroku

What's the blue bit next to your 'quarry pond'?

Len

Quote from: bbmiroku on January 15, 2019, 01:52:20 AM
What's the blue bit next to your 'quarry pond'?

A "railfan" wearing blue jeans who ignored the "Flash Flood Area" warning signs while searching for a Darwin Award.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ken Huck

To be perfectly honest, I haven't a clue !  At first I thought it was a piece of turquoise aquarium
gravel.  I know I have some somewhere, but that wasn't it.  It isn't a piece of landscape foam either.
I did eventually chisel it out and re-stain the plaster.  Hopefully the next 'pour' will cove it.

bbmiroku

I like Len's explanation.  Too bad you chiseled it out already...

Ken Huck

Here's an update on my water pours:

The second pour went fine:

This is the top  level that runs under the tracks.

This is the middle level where the water collects before going over the 'falls'.

And the bottom level where it all collects before going downstream under the tressle.

You'll notice that little bit of rock outcropping on the right, with a little dark spot underneath ?
Turns out, that an underwater tunnel.  Wasn't planned that way, it's a natural geological occurrence.
Once the second 'pour' reached a certain depth, it started running out the tunnel.

Here's the third 'pour'.

I should've moved everything out of the way before I even started the first 'pour'.  Live and learn.

Luckily, this indoor/outdoor carpet was on the way out anyway.  The carpet was not glued to the concrete,
and the 'water' didn't stick to either.  There must've been a 'backing on the carpet that prevented the 'water'
from soaking completely through.

Looks like I may need a fourth 'pour'.

Terry Toenges

Wow! My wife would have been really upset to say the least.
Feel like a Mogul.

Ken Huck

Here I'm back with more recent 'pours'.  To start off, the first one is the 'runoff'...

Next I added rivulets made with Woodland Scenics 'Water Affects'.  You sort of just squeeze it out of the
bottle and 'rake' into little lines.  It goes on white and dries clear.

Here it is after it dries.

...and further downstream...

Waterfalls will eventually come off the ledge you can see at the top of the photo.

That's about it for now.  I'm working on water falls now and hope to install them before long.

Ken

WoundedBear

Nice work Ken. Your waterworks are very realistic.

Makes me wish I had planned more water features into my layout.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

Sid

Ken Huck

Thanks Sid, I got a little more done today.

I don't know if anybody noticed yet, but there seems to be a couple of pictures starting to 'disappear' at the
beginning of this post.  Anyway, here's today's update:

Got the water falls 'falling' from the rocks.

Top looking down, the stream and some ripple effects.

The water fall on the right is actually covering up an unfinished part of the bluff.

Just more of the same from different angles.

I've got a few more layers to add yet.  The most difficult part of using these products is the 24 hour wait
time between 'pours'.

...more yet to come...

Ken

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

They look great, Ken.
But if you ever think of modeling the mist from the falls, might I suggest a portion of a cotton ball pulled very much apart (kinda like Halloween 'spider webbing' that you put on bushes and stuff).

Ken Huck

Thanks Terry.  Here's a little more progress.

I added more depth and some more 'ripples'.

Next time I'll have to add 'splashes' around the base of both waterfalls.

'til next time.

Ken

WoundedBear

Ken.....I am speechless. That is some of the most convincing water effects I have had the pleasure to see.

Really great work!

Sid