News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacing LED Light

Started by Craw, October 30, 2018, 12:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craw

Hello

I have a ON30 Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0Spectrum. This loco needs extensive repair which I am in the process doing. It was a DCC but all the boards have been removed and just the wiring harness's are their. Initially a #30 gauge wire was in place on the motor from the factory but the wire has been moved around so much that they broke away from the resistor on the motor so I replaced all the wires leading from the motor to the LED light in the front Part#28697 and to the plug that clips to the male connecter at the Tender with #26 strand wire.

The part in question here is the front LED Housing (#28697). On this particular part there is a cap(#0AD08) and the lens (#0AU01). What is shows in the printable parts list of the Loco right of the Bachmann web site is that these two parts can be removed assume to accesses the LED contained within the housing Part #28697.

Which one is the easiest to remove? I would make an educated guess and say the # 0AD08 part at the top and then I would assume the LED would pull straight up and out of the housing but it appears to be glued, as does the lens cover #0AU01.

Two reason for replacement: I want a brighter LED and secondly I am not sure which of the two wires is the positive wire for their cut equally in length.

Any suggestions.

Thank-you
Craw 

Flare

I haven't tried removing headlights before, but if the loco was originally DCC then it should follow the NMRA color standard for DCC wiring.

Blue is positive, and the negative wires for the headlight and backup light are white and yellow.

dutchbuilder

If you're lucky the lens insert is not glued in place.
What i do is drill a small hole in the back of the housing so i can push the lens insert out with a pin.

You mentioned a resistor over the motor, that is probably a capacitor that inhibits the sparking of the motor.

Ton