Circuit Board and Decoder/sound board/speaker

Started by Craw, October 31, 2018, 12:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craw

Gentleman

I have a On30 Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-0 Steam Locomotive. Under the Tender it is stamped DCC on board. Alas, their is not, I just have the 4 pin connector and a maze of wires going no where, except the wires going to the LED light mounted on the Tender. I will need the Circuit Board, Decoder, Sound Board and the speaker.

At the engine side of this locomotive I removed the #30 wiring due to improper soldering, the use of masking tape to cover soldered joints instead of shrink wrap and I can only assume that the proper solder and flux was not used, the whole project was a disasters mess to say the least.

So I removed the grey and red factory wires at the engine points due to instability of the strand wire; replaced the grey #30 wire with #26 black strand wire and did the same on the red side using red color coded wire, re-soldered with the appropriate electrical solder and flux and then shrink wrap the joints.

I am a novice to DCC for my last layout was all DC many years back. I checked the Bachmann site for those parts, 
basically not knowing what to look I am against the wall as to do what to do. Ebay doesn't have circuit boards for that loco.

What must I do? Or were must I go to get such items?

Thank-you in advance for your direction

Craw   

dutchbuilder

In principle you don't need the motherboard.

Red and black for the pickups to the decoder.
orange and grey from the motor to the dec.
blue plus for lighting.
White for front light + 1000 Ohm resistor.
Yellow for back light + 1000 Ohm resistor.

Should run like a charm.

Ton

Flare

If you want to restore the tender to DCC, Bachmann sells the chassis as a replacement part.

This version has the wheels and DCC socket board already wired up:  https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_652&products_id=9273

You will need to add a decoder with an 8-pin plug, you can even get a sound-enabled one since the tender already has a cutout for a speaker.

Craw

Thank-you Flare. I am going to have to learn to navigate their web site better. What Torn suggested above with connecting all the wires is what was done but much like the engine wiring on the Locomotive itself its terrible.

I made an error when I rewired the motor I really couldn't distinguish the color orange as the color orange to me it looked red so I went with the red. I'll have to rewire it back to what it was -- Orange --.

I am learning.

So with the purchase of that tender I would have to get a decoder as well, oh and speaker.

I have to test the motor before I carry on with anymore expense. So as it stand its a DC regardless of the "DCC ready" stamped on the bottom for all I know it could be a different tender than the original.

I got 17 Locomotives and a mess of rolling stock at an auction. Its all good stuff just some of its in disrepair and that is what I am wading though at the moment.

Thank-you
Craw 

Flare

The speaker is optional, you can get a non-sound decoder if you prefer, but I find that sound adds a lot more fun if you have DCC.

If you want to run it analog instead, you can use one of Bachmann's Dual-Mode decoders or use 'dummy plugs' if you can find them.  (They slot into the 8-pin connector and route power from the rails directly to the motor and lights.)

You can test the motor by connecting its wires to a 9v battery.  Even in DCC mode the motor gets DC voltage.

Craw

Hi Flare

Your a blessing and a true gentleman. I did the battery thing on my repaired so call not running Locomotive Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0.

To say I am over joyed would be a total understatement! Through your suggestion of the use of the battery. Bang it run, Whahoo. Thank-you, sir. Very much appreciated.

Stay turned their will be more to come, LOL. Thank you for the learning experience.

Yes and I do agree with you sound is better. No, I wish to convert all my DC Locos to DCC. So the next question would be.

The Tender not having a Circuit PCB can I install a decoder and sound board. The speaker of course is necessary.

Regards
Craw

Flare

Glad I can help.  :D

Sadly, Bachmann has run out of the sound decoders that go in that tender.  You can, however, install a 3rd party sound-enabled decoder directly to the exposed wires.

I've had great luck with SoundTraxx's sound decoders.  They sell speakers, gaskets, and other installation accessories as well.

Craw

Okay so that explains to me the route that will have to be taken. Thank you once more.

With the Baldwin 4-6-0 put a side and a document history developed to what must be done DCC and otherwise I have pulled out my 2 Bachmann On30 28 Ton Two Truck Class "B" Climax Locomotives. They both have PCB boards and are strictly DC. Those I wish to covert to DCC + Sound. Space is limited on these two Loco's. Their maybe even plastic gear issues but I won't address that until I can come up with the conversion to DCC.

I would even go as far as to covert a flat bed car that would be enclosed to house all the necessary electronics/speaker. It won't be historically correct. I don't know maybe a silly Idea.

Any suggestions on tackling that project?

Thank-you
Craw

Flare

It's not a silly idea, it's been done before.  Perhaps you could even make the Climaxes look like type C with the sound trailer?

Space is limited, but removing the bunker will give you some more room to work.

As for doing the conversion, I'll need to defer to somebody who's seen the inside of the analog model.  I'm only seeing DCC-ready ones with the 8-pin plug.

Craw

Hi Flare

Yes I will follow up on that. I do really appreciate your valued suggestions. Thank-you again for your assistance.

Regards
Craw

mabloodhound

Look at the WOW decoders from TCS. 
You will be impressed and easy to install. https://tcsdcc.com/wowsteam
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Craw

That is WOW isn't it. This will be my choice alright.

Thank you, Mabloodhound, total a no brainer.

Regards
Craw

Flare

Quote from: mabloodhound on November 02, 2018, 12:18:20 PM
Look at the WOW decoders from TCS. 
You will be impressed and easy to install. https://tcsdcc.com/wowsteam

I didn't know about those, I have a Climax bunker at home (I made a small tender for my Porter from it) and I think the B-MB2 might fit inside.

I love how some of those boards have Keep-Alives built-in, those will be a great help with DCC since it's more picky about track quality and cleanliness than analog trains are.