News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G scale coupled spring add on

Started by Mike, November 02, 2018, 02:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Does anyone have the link to the add on spring coupler fix for the large knuckle couplers? I seem to remember that it came from the Saskatoon group?? It has worked very well for me in the past. I just can't remember the specifics. The older I get the more I forget!!!

Loco Bill Canelos

Mike,

Since there are no responses, maybe you could post a photo of it, and maybe someone will recognize it and get some responses.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

armorsmith

Mike,

By the tone of your request, I gather you have been away from the hobby for some time, or you would be able to reference one of your existing units. That said a couple questions come to mind.

Are these springs for the standard Big Hauler knuckles or the larger Spectrum couplers?  Are the springs to assist with opening or closing of the coupler? Is it to assist the drop pin and keep the coupler closed?

As Bill said, pictures will help. A bit more information will go a long way as well.

Bob C.

Mike

Bill and Bob- thanks for you responses. I finally found my copy of the info to which I was referring. It had been posted on the Saskatoon Railroad Modellers web site. I downloaded and printed it in November of 2015. Unfortunately the website was abandoned within the past year. I have taken photos of the four pages and would gladly share them. (The info doesn't appear to be copyrighted, but it is clearly marked with the group's name.) if you would like for me to post the photos here, I need a bit of instructional help. I'm not as computer savvy as I'd like to be!
I'll be using the coupler springs on a train display at our local botanical garden for the holidays. I find it to greatly improve the reliability of the couplers.
Thanks again, Bob and Bill...

armorsmith

Not sure of the copyright for public share, but I would be interested in the information. Contact me off list please.

Loco Bill Canelos

Mike,

Take photos and add them to Fliker, or Imgur or other similar.  After in Imgur ( or other) copy the link to the photo  then come back to your reply page to this message and paste it in.

I would love to see the pictures.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Zullo

Here is a link to the article. I used the internet archive website (wayback machine) to find it and put it up on my club's web server. Enjoy

http://www.grpc-jax.com/Articles/BachmannCouplerFix/BachmannCouplerFix.html

armorsmith

Joe, thanks for finding and adding that to your club web site. It is difficult to be certain, but I believe that is for the 'Big Hauler' couplers, not the Spectrum. In addition to the 'Cut lever/spring', I also recommend dis-assembling the coupler and removing the flash from the drop pin. I have done many this way with good success at eliminating the 'unscheduled' uncoupling. The two processes combined should make for a very reliable coupler.

Joe Zullo

This mod looks like it will work for either line of couplers. ;)

Mike

Joe- Many thanks. I have used it and the reliability is quite good. But now I'm going to disassemble and remove flash, too. - Mike