News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Peter Witt trolly

Started by Dann boy, November 04, 2018, 09:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dann boy

Push pull application trolly struggles at low speeds or stops altogether,  any help would be greatly appreciated

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by push pull, I am guessing that you mean a system where the trolley goes one way then reverses back, sometimes called auto reverse.   These systems are very sensitive to dirty track and wheels

My experience with such systems it that after a lot of use the track becomes dirty at the point where the trolley reverses and the wheels also get very dirty.  This is especially true with the steel alloy track and brass track.  Try a super cleaning of all the track with special attention to the spots where the trolley reverses.  Then before putting it back on the track do the same with the wheels on your Trolley use cleaning fluid and a cue tip or something similar.

If the above does not help get back to us as there may be other issues.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dann boy

Thanks for the response
Yes this is a trolly type of application on a 12 foot wall unit, It is all new, just being installed. It is brass track PiKo, controls is the same brand, in one direction the power seems to be enough at low speed, when the train reverses it is pulsating an or will stop at points on the track.  It almost seems like one set of wheels are dragging and not picking up power.  Not sure if both sets have power, but that what it appears to be.doing.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Loco Bill Canelos

Dan,

There are motors in each truck, so pickup should from all four wheel sets.  It could possibly be due to the need to break in trolley to wear in the mechanism.  Does the problem exist at higher speeds?  If not run the trolley at higher speeds for a few hours in both directions, and see if that helps.

You can check the pickups on the wheels to see if they are OK by taking a pair of wire leads and touching them to each wheel set and seeing if one of them is not picking up.  If one is a problem then try some conducting lube on the pickup points.

Unfortunately I do not have  Peter Witt so my troubleshooting is based on the symptoms.   Looking at the diagrams, I can't see how the power is transferred from the truck to the body so I am unable to suggest in a specific way to to troubleshoot if you find a a problem with one of the trucks.

Hope this is a bit of help.  Maybe an actual owner will have better ideas and respond.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!