Power supply and connections for Bachmann HO turnouts

Started by tnkumar, November 04, 2018, 04:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnkumar

I have a Bachmann HO turnout.
There are 3 cables coming out of it.
I connected the middle cable to 0V, from a 12V, 3A power supply
I connected the 12V from the power supply to a common of a electronically operated switch that has a NO and NC connector.
I connected the NO to one side of the cable from the Bachmann turonout and the NC side to the other side of the cable from the Bachmann turnout

A couple of times, when I operated the relay, the turnout switched from one side to the other, but then it stopped working even though I can see that the relay is operating.

Is this connectivity correct?
Is it that 12V is inadequate and a 16V supply is needed?

Len

EZ-Track turnouts are the dual-solenoid type. The center wire from the turnout is common to both solenoids, one outside wire goes to the 'normal through' route solenoid, the other outside wire goes to the diverging route solenoid. They normally go to a control box with a slide that is moved one way or the other, then pushed down to make momentary contact to activate one solenoid or the other. The key is momentary contact . If power is left connected to a solenoid for too long, it will burn out and cease functioning.

If the regular control box is missing, two normally open push buttons can be used. Connect one side of the power source to the turnout center wire. Connect the other side of the power supply to one side of both push buttons. The remaining push button contacts are each connected to one of the outside wires.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

twin coil type switch motors are designed to be energized only long enough to move the solenoid. Keeping them under power, as it sounds like you were doing, is a sure fire way to burn out the coils.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

tnkumar

Thanks.
Do these work with AC power only or can you use them with DC power as well?
Can we use 12V or do we need 16V only?

Len

The solenoids will work with AC or DC power. For reliable operation, my experience has been you want to use 14 - 16V of whichever type of power you have.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.