Pacific Coast Air Line Railway On30 Resurrected

Started by hminky, November 06, 2018, 12:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

We have resurrected the old On30 layout. It has been expanded to 5x8. Am impressed by how much six inches improves the space. We are going to use Kato HO Unitrack. The benchwork is one piece this time, no sagging. Just added five foot cross members to the old side pieces. Using foam to create the creek below level.

Originally I was going to do the layout in 55n3 using the Kato Unitrack.  Then I discovered that I could get three inch cl to cl with the Unitrack. The 55n3 effort will probably move to modules.

The Kato Unitrack allows the track to be weathered at the workbench. That was one of the reasons I haven't built a layout. Too old to climb all over the benchwork to do the track.

Found that a "dirt" ballast berm could be developed using Sculptamold mixed with latex paint. Here for our HOn30 project.

The new layout page is at:

https://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/new_layout/

Boy, do those new Bachmann Moguls sound great.

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

hminky

Got out some of my old faux fur "pelts" and found that the faux fur could be butted up against the track to make an effective edge.

Engineer Bill is happy.

Harold

Terry Toenges

My grand kids had cowboy chaps and vests made out of some kind of furry stuff. When they were done with them, I put them in with my model train stuff for future use. I thought, like you did, that there was a field in that fur.
Feel like a Mogul.

hminky

HO Engineer Bill likes the look on this N-scale Unitrack test piece with the faux fur grass berm for our HOn30 project.

The other berm attempts were Sculptamold mixed with my base earth color latex paint. Really messy and time consuming.

My fur grass articles are at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/fur_grass/

Harold

Terry Toenges

Real good job as always Harold. The bushes look great.
Feel like a Mogul.

ScottyB

Welcome back Harold. I've always enjoyed your work. You change scales as much as I do. :)
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

hminky

Quote from: ScottyB on November 15, 2018, 04:25:55 PM
Welcome back Harold. I've always enjoyed your work. You change scales as much as I do. :)

Realized that don't change scales just model what you feel like at the moment.

Less frustration and don't worry about finishing anything.

All about having fun.

Harold