News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Christmas layout begins

Started by Terry Toenges, November 06, 2018, 12:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I'm starting on the Christmas layout now. I will change things up somewhat from last year. I bought another reversing set up and a Thomas set. I'll use Thomas and one of the cars on the reversing track that will run along the back ledge.
I'm not going to use the snow blankets close to the track again. I spent hours pulling strands fake snow from train axles. I'll paint some of the foam stuff white and I have some solid white shelf liner to use in some places like to cover the risers.
This is what I'm starting with this year -

This is from last year -
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

What the point-to-point in the back will be. I have to raise it higher so old #4 clears it on the curve. it knocked off my loose roof on the first experimental pass to see how much higher I have to go.
I had to shave down the riser a little where it meets the bridge in front. #4 became a rocking horse where the track met the bridge. It was an issue last year, so I corrected it now before i cover the riser.  I removed the closet bent and took a little bit off of it. I know it's hard going right into a 4% grade after the bridge but I didn't any choice. It is much smoother now.
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9
Feel like a Mogul.

DAVISinGP

Wow, do you start from scratch every year?

Terry Toenges

No. I built the platform on rollers last year. I usually use different track arrangements. This year I'm going to use last year's figure 8. I'll have the trolley on the main level again and some kind of oval within the right side of the 8. There were a few years that I didn't do a layout. Up until 2005, I had HO. After 2006, I was going to get away from trains and I did for a few years. We see how that worked. :)
These are all in reverse order. If I had thought before hand about posting each year, I would have done them from earliest to latest.

This one is from 2016. The bug sunk it's teeth into me again.

I kept it simple with O27 for a few years. 2015 here.

2014 was a simple one too.

For 2013, one end went under the coffee table.

This is 2012.

Feel like a Mogul.

DAVISinGP

Terry Toenges

Thanks. Here's a few more.
2010 - I don't remember what I did for Christmas for 2007, 2008, and 2009. Neither I nor my family can seem to find any pics of those years. I just put the Big Hauler in a loop for 2010.

2006 - I tried a multi-scale layout. It was easy on me with just loops. it's large scale, O27, On30 and HO. After that, I took a break from trains.

2005 - Earlier in the year, I did a major overhaul to my layout so I could take the plunge into On30. I had to rearrange a lot of track and take out the upper loop. It was also the year I had my heart attack. Once that happened, the layout came to a standstill. I did the Christmas stuff then took it down.
\

2004 - I put Christmas lights on the layout and covered the upper levels of the track with snow blankets. I cut out snow blanket mountains. I put Christmas lights on the wall and hung a piece of dark blue material up there.

2003 - This was the year I bought Bachmann's reversing trolley set-up. You can see it on the right. I wanted more Christmas stuff but didn't have room on the layout.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

2002 - This year, I put legs on the layout and put it on rollers so I could move it around. That way I could move it around to get to the back of it to work on it. It made getting to derailments much easier, too.

2001- Here you can see how satisfied I was with my 2000 "layout". I had to have bigger and better. I had three loops so I could have three trains running at the same time. I had the same basic layout for a few years and kept making changes. The whole layout is sitting on milk crates.

2000 - My first attempt at a "board" with tunnels and "over and under".

1999 - I called this one Present Valley. Except for the two small cars, the rest of the train I got for Christmas back in 1958. I repainted everything.

1998 - This is how my train addiction resurfaced from my childhood days. I bought two battery operated "Dickens" trains. I bought two sets because I wanted more track.

Feel like a Mogul.

DAVISinGP

bbmiroku

"Because I wanted more track"...

Sounds like your addiction was well underway at that point. :P

Terry Toenges

;D Yep. I could only get a small oval with just one set.
Feel like a Mogul.

infamouselijah

Why not just buy the track? Wanted a backup loco?

Trainman203

Terry, do you build a new Christmas layout every year?

I consider myself a serious modeler but I have got to say, these layouts are very cool to an adult of s certain age like me.  They have got to be magic to a child.

Terry Toenges

Lijah - I don't know where I could buy just the plastic track like that. I've only seen it in sets. Plus it gave me the extra cars. I think each set had a passenger car and a caboose.

Trainman  - I don't start new every year like a few of those years I used my regular layout. This year, I'm using the figure 8 and the oval and adding another point to point in addition to the one I had. I get too bored with same thing for any length of time. That's why I have never taken a layout to total completion. There always something I want to change or add.
I was going to take the figure 8 down after last Christmas and start on a high rise point to point but I didn't get around to it. I spent time backdating my Mogul and working on my log cars and cabeese. I don't do train stuff all the time.
With my screwed up back, it gets to me quick and often when I'm doing stuff with the layout. I do a little  and rest and do a little and rest. I have the oxygen hose to contend with and always have to move that around when I'm moving around the layout doing things. It always seem to get hung up on something. I'm always getting my nose yanked when I'm moving around the house and the hose catches under the door or the corner of the couch.

I've been going around the whole figure 8 and cutting the white rubber shelf material and gluing it down over the risers. I just have a small section left to do. I've also been building up along the back with foam for the point to point. I have to make that high enough so the loco on the figure 8 clears it because the figure 8 runs close to the back wall of the layout. I have a couple different Christmas display pieces I'm using this year so I have to plot their locations out. I'm omitting some of last years pieces. I'm putting in a bridge where the p to p crosses the 8 so I'll have to add some extra wiring between the reversing pieces on either side of it.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Progress is being made but it's not all that visible yet. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

DAVISinGP

Terry:

You probably have more experience than most in creating snow - what's your preferred method(s)?

Pauley