Really good looking diesel locomotive

Started by Trainman203, November 05, 2018, 01:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

I was 13 when I saw those T&NO RSD's and had no camera.   I thought they were very cool even then, MU'd in a mainline "consist."  Never saw them again.  The next year I inherited a "Brownie Hawkeye 620" camera from my brother.  It was primitive to say the least and I could only afford one 12 exposure roll of film a month. Nevertheless , I was the only person documenting the SP and MP in south Louisiana between 1961 and 1966.  I photographed nearly all the wood frame railroad buildings in a 100 mile radius, all gone now.  No one else was there to do it. 

Fast forward to 2005.  I began to understand the historical value of the 300 or so exposures I possessed, and approached the Historic New Orleans Collection about them.  They did back flips and said they really wanted the material, and offered me a work space to sort, catalogue, and annotate them.  I was in the process of gathering them up when Hurricane Katrina came and wiped them out along with everything else I had.   

Jeffery hit the nail on the head.  The lesson is, no matter what day it is, it is never too soon to document what seems prosaic in the present day, and fully record the date, time, and what it is.

Terry Toenges

I agree with that. That's why I spent many hours recording all my videotapes to disk and then to computer. It was too late for a few of them, but I got most of them.
Feel like a Mogul.